Thread: water heater

water heater

I noticed that there was water on top of my water heater ( where the cold goes in hot come out and where the relief valve is around the threads) so I checked the relief valve and it wasn’t working so I got a new one installed it put pipe dope on the threads and tested it see if it worked and it did. but I still have water on top in the same spots. thanks for any help jim

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy46 View Post
    I noticed that there was water on top of my water heater ( where the cold goes in hot come out and where the relief valve is around the threads) so I checked the relief valve and it wasn’t working so I got a new one installed it put pipe dope on the threads and tested it see if it worked and it did. but I still have water on top in the same spots. thanks for any help jim
    Did you look at the piping? Was there corrosion on the tank near the piping? How old is the water heater?

some white crust from water and 7 yrs old

When our heater went out, it sprung a pin hole leak on top about a half inch from the cold water inlet. Water heaters are strange creatures, I have seen housing tracts use the same brand, and one might last three years, and the one next door might last fifteen. Same thing goes for brands, I have seen some high dollar units fail sooner than cheaper models. I dont know how your water is, but if its as bad as ours is here, it might be easier to just replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy46 View Post
    some white crust from water and 7 yrs old
    Press around on the top near the waterpipe, if you see saw thinness and corrosion, you should replace the unit.