Confused Heating & Air Conditioning Questions:

My situation:

I live in Torrance, California, short hot summers, and short mild winters. My home is approximately 1600 sq. feet. Three members of my
    family have astma and other allergies. I want to replace my current
    system, and relocate it to the attic. I understand that the efficiency in the attic is better than in a closet.

Replaced my heater in 1982. Current Heater is a 3 ton, Carrier. I want to get a 4 ton this time around as there is a chance I may have a family room built on to the existing foundation. Heater still works, but it blows out black stuff, like grains of sand through the ducts, so I figure I need new ducts. I’ve had the ducts cleaned for the past seven years, and still get the black stuff.

For my size house and location, what is the best system to use? I’m hearing Rheem for heat, and American Standard for Air. Or get a dual American Standard unit.

Also want to replace the current duct system, which is asbestos.
    I’ve been doing some research on the net and have found a Formaldehyde Free product made by Johns Manville (JM), which is good for Astmatics.
    Do you know anything about the JM products? Also, what does replacing all ducts in a home include?

I have gotten one bid, but it is for a Lennox 4 ton (see below), and so many of you don’t have a lot of good things to say about Lennox, and I can’t afford to pay for a lot of repairs. Not a technical person, in any way, so I wanted to run this by the experts before I decide what to do. I appreciate any and all feedback I can get.

Thanks for your help, Jinny in Torrance.

Proposal to remove existing furnace in closet and retro-fit into attic with new furnace and add-on 4 ton 13 seer air conditioning system using “Lennox” Elite Series equipment.

- 4 ton 90,000 btu furnace m/n G5OUH-48B-090X
    - 4 ton 13 SEER condenser m/n XC13-048-230
    - 4 ton high efficient horizontal coil m/n CH33-44/48B
    - Honeywell programmable thermostat p/n TH6220D1028

Scope of work will include the following:
    (1) Removal and disposal of existing equipment.
    (2) 30X30 access hole with plywood platform and catwalk with heat shield and furnace stands.
    (3) 120 volt circuit into attic for light, switch and plug.
    220 volt circuit from panel to a/c unit.
    (4) Extend existing gas line into attic with stainless steel gas flex and shut-off valve.
    (5) Primary and secondary condensation system with back-up drain pan to designated
    location.
    (6) Dual wall combustion vent piping out through roof sealed and capped.
    (7) 7/8x3/8 copper line set from coil to a/c unit with sheet metal flashing.
    (8) U.L. approved silver faced flexible ducting to each vent in each room total of 6
    supplies and 1 return, that includes manual air dampers and multi-directional
    supply vents.

4 ton seems to much for the size of your house have you considered electronic air cleaners and/or hepa media filters.I know allergies and asthma are not fun but the best thing to do is get a reputable company to do a load calculation on your house with duct sizing and install everything new duct and equipment

Scope of work

Most of everything that you said the contractor is including, sounds like it is on the up and up. A few thing concern me. 1 flex duct- while this type of product does lower installation costs, airflow can suffer. Personally I would try to run in rigid metal, round duct would likely be the easiest. 2 one large return, can be a noise producer if it is too close to the furnace. See if they can put at least two return grills in, and 10 feet away from the furnace, to help keep things less noisy.
    Also the manufacturer of the equiptment, as long as it is a well known name like lennox, carrier, trane, york, or rheem they stand behind there products.

So what I'm getting at is that the quality of the installation is far more important than the name tag.

also get several quotes, ask your neigbors or friends who they use, and also look into u.v lights as they can improve the quality of air, by killing bacteria in the air.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshvac View Post
    4 ton seems to much for the size of your house have you considered electronic air cleaners and/or hepa media filters.I know allergies and asthma are not fun but the best thing to do is get a reputable company to do a load calculation on your house with duct sizing and install everything new duct and equipment
    The reason I'm replacing with a 4 ton is because it will accommodate the addition of a family room.

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Most of everything that you said the contractor is including, sounds like it is on the up and up. A few thing concern me. 1 flex duct- while this type of product does lower installation costs, airflow can suffer. Personally I would try to run in rigid metal, round duct would likely be the easiest. 2 one large return, can be a noise producer if it is too close to the furnace. See if they can put at least two return grills in, and 10 feet away from the furnace, to help keep things less noisy.
    Also the manufacturer of the equiptment, as long as it is a well known name like lennox, carrier, trane, york, or rheem they stand behind there products.

So what I'm getting at is that the quality of the installation is far more important than the name tag.

also get several quotes, ask your neigbors or friends who they use, and also look into u.v lights as they can improve the quality of air, by killing bacteria in the air.
    Checked out u.v lights on the net, but it looked like it was just for lights?

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post

6 supplys with 4 ton system how big are the registers?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinny View Post
    The reason I'm replacing with a 4 ton is because it will accommodate the addition of a family room.
    but still I would highly recommend a manual j load calculation from a reputable company.4 ton is a huge system that could cost you more in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by kenshvac View Post
    6 supplys with 4 ton system how big are the registers?
    I was thinking the same thing. 6 supplies and one return for a 4 ton system sounds like it will be noisy with a lot of airflow. I don't know for sure, though.

Ask the contractor about the PCO-20-28 Filter. It sounds as though he's a Lennox dealer.

Heating & Air Conditioning Questions:

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to give their suggestions. Looks like I've got alot of details to sort out, before I move forward on this.

Appreciate all your input!

Jinny

Moving the unit to the attic is not more efificent.
    Unless your DEFINAYELY going to build the addition DON'T up size the A/C.
    Also, even with the addition, you may not need 4 tons. Over sized A/C's don't dehumidify very well, and could cause more troubles for ones with astma and allergies.

6 supplies on a 4 ton, they better be BIG supplies, or you'll have lots of noise trouble.
    A single return is ok, but it needs to be sized right to prevent noise.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Asbestos!!!!

My first concern would be the "PROPER" removal of the asbestos! You need to have the asbestos removed by a professional company, this is a MUST! You think the asthma is bad try Mesothelioma which is caused by inhaling asbestos (it takes one tiny fiber undetectable by the human eye) to cause this disease.
    The next thing I would do is have load calculations done to find out exactly what size unit you will need. If in fact you plan on the addition now is the time to increase to the proper size.
    The filters are actually there to protect the equipment. You have to be careful with some of these filters (hepa) as they are very restrictive and can cause the system problems.
    The UV lights can be helpful with killing bacteria and prevent mold growth. Some UV lights emmit ozone, make sure they dont this can do more bad than good. As do some of the air purifiers!

Hope this helps, good luck!