purchasing an RTHB R-22

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and very happy to have found it. I hope one of you can set me straight. I'm looking at purchasing a used Trane RTHB R-22 watter chiller. The seller claims he removed it from a hospital in good working conditions. The hospital was expanding the facility and had to replace it. It should be well maintained since it came from a hospital?! However he cannot produce any records.

I'd be moving this cross country east to west coast next week and I know almost nothing about what could go wrong here. I'm gonna hold off half of the payment for the unit to get here and have it installed, though I have no clue what could be the worst case scenario I'd be looking at.

Your expert opinion is much much appreciated.

This is the unit I'm about to purchase. Picture wise this looks great.

Thank you very much!

-Adrian

You could be stepping into a nice warm foot massage, or a nice fresh pile of dog leavings.

Honestly, the Trane RTHB is a pretty solid machine, but used stuff is scarey. And also, no, just because it was at a hospital does not mean squat. Hospitals are often profit driven just like any other business.

What tonnage? These machines like to be loaded, they seem to have a happy spot of about 85%, any less and the part load efficiency goes to pot.

There are many ways this could go sideways. The Trane RTHB has a compressor that is, for the most part, non servicable. It would need to be replaced if something were to go bad...

Also, are you aware at how loud these things are? Often bites people in the butt.

Welcome to the boards.

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

This is a 208 volt machine. Are you sure that's the voltage you want??? Most chillers of this size run on 460 volts. How did you determine the size you need? Are you working with an HVAC contractor on this?

Its on f-in ebay
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Its on f-in ebay
    And its located an hour from my house.

As stated earlier, this will turn out great or it will be a disaster. I have seen more of the later than the former. Get a pro involved in your decision process before its too late. Getting help now may save you a lot of trouble later.
    The only true knowledge is the pursuit of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by 5thRoot View Post
    And its located an hour from my house.

As stated earlier, this will turn out great or it will be a disaster. I have seen more of the later than the former. Get a pro involved in your decision process before its too late. Getting help now may save you a lot of trouble later.
    45 mins south from me.
    Must be from the Dupont
    I agree, could go either way, but looks well maintained
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

if youre nice you can take the model and serial number and go to your local trane office and they should be able to tell you who the original purchaser of the unit was

Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    if youre nice you can take the model and serial number and go to your local trane office and they should be able to tell you who the original purchaser of the unit was

Or, if it indeed is the one on eBay....

HOWARD COUNTY HOSPITAL 9/13/1994

That thing is 20 years old....

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Thank you gentleman. Would one of you be available to check this out for me this coming Monday? I could give you the phone number of the dealer selling it and could pay you over paypal. My email address if you'd like to get in touch with me: froghila@gmail.com

Is this chiller the voltage you need?

Yes, the voltage is fine

run hours and starts would be a good start on its condition and a megger reading on the windings ....looky see the contactors before a restart.oil sample analysis before a new change at 230V part winding start..check the points on that start contactor
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

"when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY