Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bryant Evolution - balance point help

Post Likes
    duh....I wasn't talking during defrost.
    Its a good Life!

Post Likes
    I am looking for the best Economic balance point.

Think of this a constructive criticism reply.

First you needed to have done a HeatLoad calculation, especially by your contractor! You need this to figure out your particular thermal balance pt and your economic balance pt. And this brings me to, how in h-- did they figure out your equipment sized??? The Evolution is a great system, but it doesn't mean you are getting the best system for your house!!!

!!It's very important to sized a whole system and fit it to your existing home!!

Now the equipment: The economic balance pt must be less than your thermal balance point. But how would you know that if you don't have a LoadCalc to guide you!
    With a loadcalc in one hand and the right equipment selected to meet the need for efficiency and comfort's sake, you can determine 1. how much the heat pump can handle (at what temp pt to shut off), 2. when you want the gas furnace to come on (at what temp pt to turn on), and 3. if supplemental heat is required (sometimes it cost less to run the heatpump and resistive heat together than a gas furnace to a certain pt.).

But i could be all wrong about this idea if the Hybrid Heat system has a minicomputer built-in to figure this all out!

Good Luck with your new Hybrid Heat!!

Post Likes

Thumbs up Get It Together !

Quote Originally Posted by wormie1205 View Post
    How do you change the balance point?
    With
    __ NEW house,
    __ ___ NeW equipment,
    __ ___ ____ electric rate change, or gas cost decrease.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by m kilgore View Post
    duh....I wasn't talking during defrost.
    duh, never say cant!

Post Likes
    Arc8 - Nice way to tie together the two types of balance points.

About that minicomputer figuring it all out. I read in an online home magazine the other day that there is a system that allows you to tell the tstat what the cost per KWh you pay for electrcity and what the cost per therm you pay for natural gas, and it figures out what the economic switchover point is. Anyone hear of that? The article didn;t mention brand names, it just gave the impression that that methods is the standard for todays high end systems. I did not think this was the case, but figured someone must make a tstat that allows that. It's a simple calc for a minicomputer.

Post Likes
    Here in SE Michigan, the D1.7 electric rate (space conditioning) for heat pumps is about $.065 for summer and $.037/kWh for winter. Where did
    you get the Bryant Equipment specs from? Your calculations below look very helpful. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Economic balance point is not hard to determine once you know your utility rates and
    heat pump C.O.P. in the temperature range of interest.

Calculated Economic balance point is likely clsoe to the 3-ton 15 SEER/8.4 HSPF heat pump / 2,000 sq. foot residence Heating Balance Point.
    Calculated Economic balance point does not accurately account for the defrost cycle.

S.E. Michigan
    Electric Rate ... ... ... $0.11 / kW
    = 100,000 BTU/therm / 3413 BTU/ kW = 29.3 kW/ Therm
    $3.22 / 100,000 BTU

http://www.michigan.gov/mpsc/0,1607,...5189--,00.html

specific C.O.P. ascertained for BRYANT heat pump 286-036 ( assumed same as CARRIER Performance Series)
    Effective cost = $1.15 at C.O.P. of 2.8 @ 27'F)

xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Natural Gas ... ... ... .. $1.00 / Therm
    http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/mpsc/gas/rates/gasrates.pdf

Therm = 100,000 BTU
    at 95 % efficiency .. $1.053 / 100,000 BTUh

K.I.S.S.

Economic balance point = ~ 33' F ... Moderate-High electric rate versus relatively low Natural Gas cost pushes the economic balance point
    higher than I would have anticipated for a HSPF 8.4 system.
    C.O.P. at 22'F - 28'F seems to be LOW. Perhaps, someone has an accurate ARI rating in this range.
    C.O.P. values below were interpolated from the 47'F - 17'F data to show cost comparison /Economic Balance Point.

Based on review BRYANT (CARRIER PERFORMANCE Series) equipment specs.
    ________________________ $3.22 $0.11 29.3

..'F C.O.P. Effective
    47 __ 3.60 ___ $0.895
    46 __ 3.56 ___ $0.905
    45 __ 3.52 ___ $0.916
    44 __ 3.48 ___ $0.926
    43 __ 3.44 ___ $0.937
    42 __ 3.40 ___ $0.948
    41 __ 3.36 ___ $0.959
    40 __ 3.32 ___ $0.971
    39 __ 3.28 ___ $0.983
    38 __ 3.24 ___ $0.995
    37 __ 3.20 ___ $1.007
    36 __ 3.16 ___ $1.020
    35 __ 3.12 ___ $1.033
    34 __ 3.08 ___ $1.046
    33 __ 3.04 ___ $1.060
    32 __ 3.00 ___ $1.074
    31 __ 2.96 ___ $1.089
    30 __ 2.92 ___ $1.104
    29 __ 2.88 ___ $1.119
    28 __ 2.84 ___ $1.135
    27 __ 2.80 ___ $1.151
    26 __ 2.76 ___ $1.168
    25 __ 2.72 ___ $1.185
    24 __ 2.68 ___ $1.203
    23 __ 2.64 ___ $1.221
    22 __ 2.60 ___ $1.240
    21 __ 2.56 ___ $1.259
    20 __ 2.52 ___ $1.279
    19 __ 2.48 ___ $1.300
    18 __ 2.44 ___ $1.321
    17 __ 2.40 ___ $1.343

Post Likes
    Thanks for your reply and I am trying to learn as I go, along with the contractor. I think hybrid systems are fairly new to this area as 3 out of the 4 contractors I had come out said that they had heard of heat pumps but weren't familar with them. The contractor I hired has the most experience in this area with heat pumps but is still learning. The Evolution thermostat does not calculate the best balance point but has a lot of other nice features as far as I can tell being a newcomer to this field. I will see if I can track down the LoadCalc software.

Quote Originally Posted by arc8 View Post
    I am looking for the best Economic balance point.

Think of this a constructive criticism reply.

First you needed to have done a HeatLoad calculation, especially by your contractor! You need this to figure out your particular thermal balance pt and your economic balance pt. And this brings me to, how in h-- did they figure out your equipment sized??? The Evolution is a great system, but it doesn't mean you are getting the best system for your house!!!

!!It's very important to sized a whole system and fit it to your existing home!!

Now the equipment: The economic balance pt must be less than your thermal balance point. But how would you know that if you don't have a LoadCalc to guide you!
    With a loadcalc in one hand and the right equipment selected to meet the need for efficiency and comfort's sake, you can determine 1. how much the heat pump can handle (at what temp pt to shut off), 2. when you want the gas furnace to come on (at what temp pt to turn on), and 3. if supplemental heat is required (sometimes it cost less to run the heatpump and resistive heat together than a gas furnace to a certain pt.).

But i could be all wrong about this idea if the Hybrid Heat system has a minicomputer built-in to figure this all out!

Good Luck with your new Hybrid Heat!!
    Last edited by adamsdp; 11-14-2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Likes
    Under the advanced settings there is a selection where you can choose a heat pump lockout temperature. I think it is under Advanced/Settings/Hybrid Heat. If you can't find it let me know and I will try it again at home and reply.
    My default setting was none which I think means the heat pump would run as long as it could keep up with heating demands and then switch to the furnace if it could not keep up. I have set mine for 28 deg for now.

Quote Originally Posted by wormie1205 View Post
    How do you change the balance point?

Post Likes
    My contractor spoke with the local Bryant rep and he said that there are two schools of thought on the balance point for this area - SE Michigan. One is that you have no heat pump lockout temp selected and let the heat pump run as much as possible until it can't keep up and then the furnace will take over as the heat pump will be cheaper to run than the furnace at any outdoor temperature that the heat pump can provide heat for. The other school is that the defrost cycle uses a good amount of electricity and also to save wear and tear on the heat pump, a balance point of 28-30 is a good setting. My contractor said they don't have a long history of information to go on in this area about the wear and tear/defrost cycle but he is going to look for software to provide more guidance.

Post Likes
    Since I am a BRyant rep please go to page 2 and read my reply. you are way overthinking this decision. I think a good train of thought for you is to lower it until it in not able to keep you comfortable and then move it up a couple of degrees.

If not please set it at 20 and go from there

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stopro1 View Post
    There is no reasonable economic balance point where the fossil fuel furnace is more efficient than the heat pump, until it's about -10F outside, (equal to the furnace). Balance point is and always will be the point where there the heat pump can no longer satisfy the heating demand alone. When the room temp falls below the setpoint, you have fallen below the balance point, and will require back-up heating to maintain the same setpoint.
    You write that:
    "when the heat pump's COP is at .95 "

The factor that you have not consideed in your analysis is the Cost of Power.

However, the Conversion of Power (COP) is only one factor in the equation.
    At lower temps the Heat Pump COP becomes very low - you sited 0.95.
    If raw energy cost (BTU cost) from electricty is 2X the NG cost, the cross over point for the cost of home heating will not be the heat pump COP number.

Neither of those consider the "comfort factor" of having blowing hot air, and that is homeowner subjective.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aaCharley View Post
    You write that:
    ... However, the Conversion of Power (COP) is only one factor in the equation.
    C.O.P. = Coeffficient Of Performance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_performance
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Thanks for the correction and the useful link to the proper definition.

The coefficient of performance, or COP (sometimes CP), of a heat pump is the ratio of the output heat to the supplied work . . . .

Conversion of Power is not correct - just the way I think of it.

That COP number is variable, depending upon the outside air temp. The Wikipedia example uses a geothermal source which would have very little variability.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in