Two-stage furnace, One-stage thermostat

I just had a new York Two-stage furnace installed. However, the existing thermostat is a one-stage type. I understand this means when the thermostat calls for heat the furnace kicks on at low heat output, and then if it runs for over 10 minutes it will bump up to high heat output, whereas a two-stage thermostat could be smarter about when to call for high heat output.

The thing is, I'm in a condo, and my furnace is in a storage/utility room below my unit -- I own my unit, I own the utility room, but I don't own the rest of the building. Pulling new wires needed to install a two-stage thermostat would be highly non-trivial and may require negotiations with neighbors for access to their space.

Does anybody know how much of a benefit a proper two-stage setup would deliver as opposed to how my system is configured now? Again, the issue is not the trivial cost of a new thermostat, the issue is the logistical headache of pulling new wires in my condo situation.

They make wireless thermostats. I believe they are good for up to 100 ft. I've used them before with success, no problems since installed. Carrier has a tstat that will do any setup you need and only uses 2 wires. You ought to look into that.

Interesting idea

Hmm, the idea of a wireless thermostat sounds possibly interesting for my situation. However, this building is a very noisy RF environment, which has caused issues in the past with wireless speakers and Wi-Fi Internet. How big a benefit would a proper two-stage thermostat provide?

A thermostat controlling which stage the unit runs at based on actual conditions would be superior to a system going to high stage in 10 minutes in most cases. There may be some unused wires on your current thermostat wire that were either tied back or snipped; I'm not a pro, but perhaps those could be used for the extra wire or wires you need for a two stage thermostat. What does your installation contractor think?

Your furnace can be set for up to 20 minutes on low, before it goes to high.
    A 2 stage furnace should have a 2 stage stat.

All you really need is the right thermostat. Have your contractor check into the Honeywell IAQ thermostat.(Capable of 4 stages heat, and 2 stages cooling, plus cool to dehimidify, and many other things) It only needs 3 wires to the thermostat. A EIM (equipment interface module) is installed at the furnace, and thats where the other wires needed by the A/C and Furnace get connected.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

a honeywel iaq only needs 4 wires and it will run 2stage heat and 2stage cool

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    a honeywel iaq only needs 4 wires and it will run 2stage heat and 2stage cool
    Corrections.. It only needs 3 wires between the t-stat and the board that is mounted near the furnace.

Also with the IAQ you can control your variable speed blower for better humidity removal in the summer with your A/C, and if you have a humidifier, you can wire it to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Corrections.. It only needs 3 wires between the t-stat and the board that is mounted near the furnace.

Also with the IAQ you can control your variable speed blower for better humidity removal in the summer with your A/C, and if you have a humidifier, you can wire it to it as well.
    I thought I said something like that. LOL
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I thought I said something like that. LOL
    hehe I beat you to it!

Hi Matthew, listen to Mayguy and beenthere's advice, they are the "gospel" on the IAQ! I had a single stage W-R stat on a 2 stage furnace, and they both helped me switch to the IAQ. The IAQ is awesome. The dehum function on cooling is worth the price alone on the IAQ. I had many days last summer, especially in early morning, where the dehum kicked in. Now I'm using the IAQ for the first time on heating. The furnace seems to run more frequently and longer in low fire than before. Regards, mrbee

my bad as to the # OF WIRES NEEDED I HAD THE INFINITY ON MY MIND but anyway the iaq is a very good t stst and silent to