Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The heat pump needed 4 lbs. of R-22. The low level of R-22 was causing the pressure switch to open and close, thus the compressor cycling. A leak test was performed, and a leak was found due to a shraeder valve at the suction service valve. I had the defrost cycle and thermostat wiring checked while I had the service tech. here as well. Right now everything seems to be okay. I still signed up for a service agreement so that way I get two cleanings and covered parts and labor on most things. Thanks for everyone's advice.

The problem appears to be back (see above for previous problem). Right now the heat runs for a long time and during this time, one of three things happen: A. outdoor fan runs, compressor doesn't; B. both outdoor fan and compressor run (not for too long); or C. neither the outdoor fan nor the compressor run. This is unfortunate because as stated in the post above, 4 lbs. of R-22 was added to the system on Friday 11/16 and it's acting like it's low again. The good news is I signed up for a maintenance agreement with this company I trust. A leak test was done and the only leak found was at the discharge line service valve (the shraeder valve was replace to remedy this issue). Any input? This is probably going to amount to another service call. The maintenance agreement does cover refrigerant, but I'd much rather find the leak if that is what's causing this. Thanks!

another leak

Thanks. I'm going to keep an eye on it. It's maintaining 70 degrees in the house now and it does appear to be functioning fine at this moment. I still don't like what it was doing earlier, though. Last time it was actually toggling rapidly; this time it seems the compressor toggles at a much slower pace. Maybe not as low on freon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12