Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help! I think something is wrong with my heat pump.

I think something is wrong with my heat pump. I went outside to the heat pump and here is what happened:

1. I noticed a cool discharge line and low noise as if only the fan was running.
    2. I noticed the compressor was not functioning as it was making no noise and the lines had no obvious sign of refrigerant moving in them.
    3. I saw the heat pump begin cycling rapidly.
    4. The heat pump has now been on steadily but with immediate frost buildup on liquid line and evaporator coil outside.

I think something is wrong. My heat pump hasn't turned itself off in what seems like forever.

Edit: Just after I posted this I went back outside to make sure nothing wrong was happening. Well, it was making the low noise of the fan only running. After it ran like this for a while, the heat pump turned itself off. The thermostat was STILL calling for heat. At this point, I just turned the thermostat down so the unit wouldn't come on until I can call for service for Monday (I hope). Any thoughts?

I personally think it's because the heat pump is mismatched to a Lennox air handler. I think the charge issue people have talked about when it reverses it's cycle is coming to truth in my case unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    I think something is wrong with my heat pump. I went outside to the heat pump and here is what happened:

1. I noticed a cool discharge line and low noise as if only the fan was running.
    2. I noticed the compressor was not functioning as it was making no noise and the lines had no obvious sign of refrigerant moving in them.
    3. I saw the heat pump begin cycling rapidly.
    4. The heat pump has now been on steadily but with immediate frost buildup on liquid line and evaporator coil outside.

I think something is wrong. My heat pump hasn't turned itself off in what seems like forever.

Edit: Just after I posted this I went back outside to make sure nothing wrong was happening. Well, it was making the low noise of the fan only running. After it ran like this for a while, the heat pump turned itself off. The thermostat was STILL calling for heat. At this point, I just turned the thermostat down so the unit wouldn't come on until I can call for service for Monday (I hope). Any thoughts?

I personally think it's because the heat pump is mismatched to a Lennox air handler. I think the charge issue people have talked about when it reverses it's cycle is coming to truth in my case unfortunately.
    1) Low Charge or wrong charge for heat
    2) Improper match
    3) Check valve on indoor coil stuck closed.

1 or 2 most likely. Perhaps both 1 and 2. just another reason to replace the whole thing all at the same time. Good luck.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Thanks, I appreciate the prompt response. I don't think I should be turning the system back on now should I? I could always use the emergency heat.

Here's another thought:

When I noticed this happening outside, the auxiliary heat clicked on the thermostat inside (VisionPRO 8320). I've been wondering why the auxiliary heat is frequently coming on.

You could have a leak also.

Yes, probably best to just run on emergency heat for now.

Hope it works out OK.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Neill; 11-11-2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Thank you Kevin. I'll keep you guys posted.

I see that I can match either an HP13-042-230 or 13HPD-042-230 to my current CB26UH-042-R according to aridirectory.org. Maybe this would be a good idea. I understand the 13HPD-042-230 is pretty "cheap." I understand the CB26UH-042-R can be field converted for the use of R410a. If this is the case, would an XP13 be an approved match? Any thoughts? Thanks.

After further investigation on my behalf, I've noticed that, at times, the compressor isn't even running. The fan is just blowing air. Also, the intermittent starting and stopping has me stumped. It seems to me this may be a bad compressor? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Don't you have one of those infrared thermometers?

Nope, an installer used one when they installed the air handler. I can tell you the air is either warm from the heat strips or cool due to the compressor not running (it seems).

I'm going to have a company come out on Friday (only time I can make myself avaiable for a service tech). I will let you guys know how it goes. I think the only way to rid myself from all of these problems is to have a matched system.

I asked because you could see what the temp of the compressor was without getting into to much. the ref. cools the compressor so if it's low on charge you could be tripping out on overload. Hopefully they can fix it for you and I think getting a matched system will be best for you IMO if you don't want to go through this often.

Yes, two service calls a year to adjust everything will get costly. Ill see how this service call goes first though to get an experienced opinion on my system. Only so much can be done from the internet as you all know. Thanks for everyone's input. I will keep you guys posted.

One thing that's got me stumped: Why did I see my heat pump going on and off rapidly at times? I know this is bad for the compressor. Could this be caused by too much or too little freon charge? Something else like a run capacitor? Thanks.

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    No, a run cap won't cause rapid short cycling of a comp. A short in the stat wire will. A defrost control that's failing might. (heat/defrost/heat/ etc) unitl it goes out on O/L. A stat may also cause this..failure in the time delay w/ a short similar to the stat wire.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast