Thread: Quiet Furnaces?

Quiet Furnaces?

I've been reading on the forum about "quiet" furnaces. We have no choice but to install in a closet in the house so quiet is important. More important than price actually.

It sounds like modulating furnaces, ECM blowers and sealed combustion chambers really cut down the noise. But I am having a hard time finding actual DB ratings for different units - they seem to just want to say "quietest." I did find the Carrier Infinity 96 at about 41 DB.

So I'm wondering if anyone knows the models and DB ratings for the quietest furnaces from Trane (or Am Standard), Lennox, Rheem or their other equivalent secondary brand names? Or where I can find them.

Thanks!

If it's being installed in a closet, where is the return air coming from? If it only has one main return, that will make it louder also.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

It's replacing the existing HVAC..

and the return is in the family room on the other side of the wall.

Check with the contractors that will bid your job and see if they can move that return or something. One main return in the family room will make the furnace louder. You'll be hearing the blower noise when the furnace is running.
    Have you hugged the Earth today?
    Donny Baker rules

Here's a web page that shows the db lebel for a Rheem Prestige modulating furnace; http://www.rheemac.com/popup_ModSoundChart.htm

Thanks for the reply...

Looks like the Rheem is quiet enough...

I have a Rheem modulating going in the week after Thanksgiving. Quite was one of my concerns as well. I think Rheem will do well. I'll write a post to let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinciwinters View Post
    I have a Rheem modulating going in the week after Thanksgiving. Quite was one of my concerns as well. I think Rheem will do well. I'll write a post to let you know.

Good choice. It will serve you well.

Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    That's cool! I hadn't found that before. Seeing the numbers or a bar graph is one thing. It's nice to actually hear a difference.
    BS