Cool Trane XR90 and installation

We live in New England and are in the process of replacing our three furnaces for better efficiency. Our HVAC technician has given us a price of $1 for three Trane XR90's installed. I had read about the two stage Trane furnaces and wondered if this was a better type of unit. Our installer really felt that Trane was a superior product with the best service response.

Any thoughts on the quote of $1 and the Trane XR90 product?

Thanks, Patty
    Last edited by jrbenny; 11-11-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: removed pricing

Does (insert an amount of money here) sound like a reasonable price for my car?

As with the above statement, there are to many variables.

P.S. Pricing is not allowed on this site, please remove the price or Im sure one of the Mods will be along shortly to do just that.
    Poor planning on your part doesn’t necessarily constitute an emergency on my part.

How big is the home?? 3 furnace is a lot.

I'd do the variable speed 2 stage in areas that you want comfort and will be in the most. then do the XR in areas that not used much.

As for price, it's all over the board all over, so get a couple more bids.

Trane can be a good product if it's installed right, and sounds like the dealer is able to get parts right away if needed. But if it's not installed right, then it can have issues.

Confused Why the secret?

The system is being replaced - existing duct work, filter and AC are fine. I will need to have two venting systems for the 3 furnaces and some carbon monoxide detectors and there's nothing tricky in the installation.

To: Totaleclipse - Well, I did find it strange that it is impossible to find out a unit cost for a furnace - and now I guess it is taboo to even discuss it on a bb - really makes you wonder... I am not trying to begrudge my HVAC installer his cut - but I do like to know what I am paying for...Why the big secret?

patyd

Quote Originally Posted by patyd View Post
    To: Totaleclipse - Well, I did find it strange that it is impossible to find out a unit cost for a furnace - and now I guess it is taboo to even discuss it on a bb - really makes you wonder... I am not trying to begrudge my HVAC installer his cut - but I do like to know what I am paying for...Why the big secret?

patyd
    It is not a big secret, but there are way to many variables to consider, location alone plays a big part in price. What I make an hour here in Upstate SC would be laughed at by someone in my position in New York City. Each house is different, so the work required to install the equipment is going to vary from house to house. Along with many other variables.
    Poor planning on your part doesn’t necessarily constitute an emergency on my part.

if you are getting 3 90%ERS you need 3 venting systems, as they cannot share common venting.
    You can't fix stupid