Trane XR80 not warm enough

Hi all. We just moved into a new house with a Trane XR80 down draft forced air furnace. It seems to function fine, but the air it is putting out is simply not warm enough. I have cleaned the permanent filters and the interior of the unit. I have verified that all the gas burner jets are firing properly. The LED status indicator seems to be telling me that it is operating normally. But the air being forced through the floor grates is barely warm, and it is not heating the house sufficiently.

It seems like the gas does not stay on long enough. I notice there are a number of PID switches on the control PCB. What would be the proper position combination to ensure the gas stays on as long as possible? Is there something else I can do? (I am an electrician but not an HVAC expert, obviously.)

Thanks for any assistance.

The switches on the control board only control the off delay of the blower in the heat mode.

I recommend you have a qualified professional service person check the system out.
    Finding someone who is truly qualified to work on combustion appliances can be a challenge, they are few and far between in my area.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Is the burners cycling on and off while the blower stays on the whole time?

Or, the burners are shutting down, and blower soon afterwards, and a few min later it fires off, then it can be a couple of things.

-Depends on the T-stat, Cycle per hour (CPH) may be set too high, or temp swing is set too low.
    -T-stat is near a heat vent.

Call somebody out. Sounds like a classic case of leaky ductwork.

Thanks for the replies folks. There is plenty of air coming through the ducts, it's just not hot, so I doubt it is simply leaking under the house, but I haven't been under there so I can't say for sure. The burner comes on and fires for maybe a minute, then the blower comes on, then after a couple minutes the burner shuts down and the blower runs for a few minutes more. At no time does the air through the floor grates get more than maybe 5 degrees above ambient.

I'll see if I can find a tech in my area (San Jose, CA.) Thanks again for the posts.

What do you have for t-stat? Brand and model#

Quote Originally Posted by dyohn View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks. There is plenty of air coming through the ducts, it's just not hot, so I doubt it is simply leaking under the house, but I haven't been under there so I can't say for sure. The burner comes on and fires for maybe a minute, then the blower comes on, then after a couple minutes the burner shuts down and the blower runs for a few minutes more. At no time does the air through the floor grates get more than maybe 5 degrees above ambient.

I'll see if I can find a tech in my area (San Jose, CA.) Thanks again for the posts.
    "Plenty of airflow" is a relative term. Air wants to travel to the path of least resistance. If you have leaks you can still have very good airflow. Sounds to me like you have some "crawlspace" air infiltrating into your duct system thus lowering the temp of your supply air.

Like I said before, have someone come out and fix this for you and quit trying for cheap answers online.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    "Plenty of airflow" is a relative term. Air wants to travel to the path of least resistance. If you have leaks you can still have very good airflow. Sounds to me like you have some "crawlspace" air infiltrating into your duct system thus lowering the temp of your supply air.

Like I said before, have someone come out and fix this for you and quit trying for cheap answers online.

yes, thats the first thing i was thinking!

Cheap answers? Nice. No, just trying to understand the system so as not to waste someone's time if it was a simple matter of adjusting a timer.

The t-stat is a cheap and simple SPST on-off (no A/C in this house.) There does not appear to be a model number, or the label is long gone.

Crawlspace air. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dyohn View Post
    Cheap answers? Nice. No, just trying to understand the system so as not to waste someone's time if it was a simple matter of adjusting a timer.

The t-stat is a cheap and simple SPST on-off (no A/C in this house.) There does not appear to be a model number, or the label is long gone.

Crawlspace air. Thanks.
    sounds like the temp rise may not have been adjusted properly, blower may be too high, air temp should be approx 50-55 degrees higher than return, so most likely if you are used to an oil furnace or old time gas, you will take a while to get used to 130 degree air temps.
    You can't fix stupid

I see that your in San Jose there are some techs on here that service your area ie "Big Bird".
    GO GREEN HEAT

Talking

Good Luck
    Last edited by jimhaycock; 11-12-2007 at 02:43 AM.

Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Arizona, Colorado, Nevada, and Califormia
    R/A leaking or off, gas pressure too low, blower too high, stat location, as the others have already said, these are issues for a tech.
    "Surprised ?! If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised."
    Clark Griswold