Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Either prepare to DIY start to finish or contract out for a complete system. Buying components online and expecting a contractor to do the rest isn't the way to go IMHO.

I did the former for about 1/3 the cost of the quotes I was given. I couldn't be happier but this isn't a DIY forum so I'll end it at that.

Yes it is a practice

Actually, I think "practice" is a very descriptive term for this trade. The equipment we install are not appliances and the end product quality is a direct consequence of the experience of the installer.
    Would you want a system put in by someone on their first day?
    Would you want a system put in by "I have been doing this for 30 years..it will work" (We cut those roof trusses all the time, )
    or would you want the installer who practices his trade by taking pride in their work and making the next install look better, perform better and apply lessons learned?
    It's not the Brand with the fewest repairs-It's all in the install!!! Attention to detail and using the best materials!

I'ev bought auto parts at the dealer then taken them elsewhere for installation (and not gotten their warranty) but I wouldn't try that with anything else.

1600 SQ F
    3 ton ? good Manual J

Quote Originally Posted by davefr View Post
    Either prepare to DIY start to finish or contract out for a complete system. Buying components online and expecting a contractor to do the rest isn't the way to go IMHO.

I did the former for about 1/3 the cost of the quotes I was given. I couldn't be happier but this isn't a DIY forum so I'll end it at that.

I bought my new Goodman heat pump from an A1-rated Goodman supplier that sells direct to the public (no internet, I picked the system up at his warehouse). I specified what I wanted (fixed speed fan in air handler, txv, made certain that system was a match). Paid a pro to install it before the busy summer season. Saved almost the present year in $$ (can't post pricing). So far I am very happy.

A co-worker did even better. We installed his outside unit and a/c coil. He paid a pro to purge and braze the refrigerant lines. He saved more than half the cost of the conventional route.

I scrapped the old copper and aluminum coils for $53.

It can be done. I would't buy it over the internet as the mfr provides no warranty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12