Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does purchasing off E-Bay offer any real savings?

Title says it all.

I was considering buying the following, but wondering if it is worth my effort to buy this and then try and get someone to install...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amana-4-Ton-16-S...QQcmdZViewItem

search the forum - you'll find
    1) no recourse if equipment sucks
    2) very few (if any) reputable dealers will touch the install.

yes! but it will cost you

Here is my experiences, new or new used? old stock or recalled? Will the man. give warranty or is it only if purchased through a dealer/installer. Now for the big expense, Shipping, truck freight, loading dock or no dock, commercial address or more for residental. If you can pay for item, shipping, help to unload item, service man to set up and the chance you will get a lemon with no warranty. Sure it is a great deal! but check with a dealer, sometimes you can buy it close to what you will have in it shipped to your door. Just be ready for problems..from my personal experience. But I get scared when items is more than a few dollars. Good luck, there are deals but remember if it too good to be true...it probably is

Click this link: http://www.amana-hac.com/Portals/1/A.../PWAACHPLA.pdf

for this unit, or any unit:
    and read the disclaimer and read lines 19 and 20 down from the top:

Warranty is no good if unit was purchased thru the internet.....

Ruud has a similar policy.

I might install it but would have to price the job as if I sold the unit, with proper margins built in above your costs and even then no warranty on equipment or labor.

I would however provide 30 days on any labor performed. Your on your own as far as equipment warranties.

As a company our survival depends on the sale of parts, materials and equipment or we could not afford to be in business.

You will find that most new equipment bought on the internet has a significant markup built into the price without the warranties.

Your local contractor can allmost allways match or beat the prices found on the internet. What they dont tell you about is all the additional materials that may go with an install, gas piping , fittings, stats, wiring, controls, valves, connectors etc.. that add up to a significant sum. and all that is relevant to each install.
    A contractor has to cover their insurance, permits, taxes, fuel, tooling and overhead costs as well and you can bet 95% of the time they will price fairly and competitively. Unless you purchase the equipment yourself.

They should be made to have that in the add......I wonder how many people have fallen pray to this crap.

Talking

Gee Doc 150k sounds a bit steep for that operation! How about I buy my own heart off e-bay and you do the install?
    I don’t always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos-Equis. I am the most interesting man in the world. Stay thirsty my friends.

We would install it.
    We'd find out how much that equipment would normally cost us. Then charge you our normal mark up on that cost
    We would provide a labor warranty on our work, but no warranty on your equipment.
    Meaning if a part you bought was defective. You would pay us our normal service call rates, and have to get your part money back yourself.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up NO Guarantees or Guaranteed for Life (Short as it may be)

Quote Originally Posted by 1972torino View Post
    Gee Doc 150k sounds a bit steep for that operation! How about I buy my own heart off e-bay and you do the install?
    HO (a.k.a. HomeOwner or Heart Operation):
    Does that come with a 20-minute guarantee?
    Thanks, Doc but Why are you only offering an 8-minute guarantee?

Doc: I gave you a 10% discount on my normal installation charge.
    Have a great afternoon and maybe will be able to talk tomorrow.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

I'll sure sell u a 4.0 ton Goodman heat pump and air handler (14 seer) that's never been hooked up cause I need a 3 ton and ordered mine too big!!! lol It was a good deal though.....if I had a brain and didn't think bigger was better at the time........I have somebody to install it, but like I said, a little much for a 1600 sq ft house lol. Live and learn........

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    HO (a.k.a. HomeOwner or Heart Operation):
    Does that come with a 20-minute guarantee?
    Thanks, Doc but Why are you only offering an 8-minute guarantee?

Doc: I gave you a 10% discount on my normal installation charge.
    Have a great afternoon and maybe will be able to talk tomorrow.
    Doctors don't gaurantee their work at all. If they screw up, you have to get another Doctor to do the work, and sue the first one for malpractice.
    Stuart
    Lack of airflow destroys compressors.

Quote Originally Posted by mcewans View Post
    Doctors don't gaurantee their work at all. If they screw up, you have to get another Doctor to do the work, and sue the first one for malpractice.
    Yep, they call it "practicing" medicine. Do you guys "practice" HVAC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast