Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extended Warranty, Parts/Labor or Parts only?

Post Likes

Extended Warranty, Parts/Labor or Parts only?

Hi - I finally found a local dealer who would offer me a Bryant-backed extended 10yr warranty on my Evolution Furnace, and my Evolution A/C system (i have separate systems, heat in the basement, A/C in the Attic).

The price for parts was low-hundreds of dollars. I guess it's low because it only covers years 6-10, and only those parts not covered for 10yrs. The price for P/L was significantly (~6-7x) higher - probably because it covers years 2-10?

anyway, from what I'm reading here, it seems like going for the parts may be worth it - make it back on one repair . Since I have to cover both systems (don't know which will break), going P & L seems rather pricey for the extra benefit, especially as I would expect labor costs to be limited to a couple of hours per repair? (whereas parts costs can be, well, whatever).

what do you guys think?

Thanks
    /j

Post Likes
    Do you think it might be possible for labor rates to be 175 or more an hour 5 years from now.

Find out current labor rate, then decide if the labor warranty is worth it.

As gasoline prices go up, more companies will be charging a trip/fuel charge, might want to add that possibility in to your decision.

Post Likes
    Thanks BT - at current labor rates, I'd be prepaying for more than 10 hours of labor across both systems. Even a few years from now that could still be like 3 repairs (the company is only 10 minutes away). Not saying it -wouldn't- pay off (can't prove a negative), but was thinking my chances of making back the parts-only was much better, as I think i might make it back on the first repair.
    /j

Post Likes
    parts and labor warranty also cover freon, welding charges ,nitrogen and other misc charges if 1 of the coil leaks or compressor fails in the next 10 years the p&l warranty will seam like a bargain

Post Likes
    I thought compressor had 10-year warranty....

Post Likes
    most due but its not going to be changed for free.

Post Likes
    unless it is in the first year

Post Likes
    well, maybe it's not rational, I can see spending a few hundred to cover the parts, but close to a couple K (both systems) to pre-buy my labor seems tougher - i could invest that sort of money 8-}

but I'll think about it...

anyway, wasn't the reason I paid up for Evolution, in part, reliability? 8-}

/j

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post

anyway, wasn't the reason I paid up for Evolution, in part, reliability? 8-}

/j
    If it was that reliable, you wouldn't have to pay for a 10 years parts warranty.

Put the money in a CD, if your right your ahead of the game.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If it was that reliable, you wouldn't have to pay for a 10 years parts warranty.

Put the money in a CD, if your right your ahead of the game.

and if your wrong CHA-CHING!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    and if your wrong CHA-CHING!

See - I'm not sure I buy that - I like insuring against some mega-expensive part, but when would labor ever run more than 2-3 hours....

Post Likes
    See - I'm not sure I buy that - I like insuring against some mega-expensive part, but when would labor ever run more than 2-3 hours....
    heat exchangers and compressors can take awhile, if its a burnout compressor, all day might become an issue. If your a poker playing person, go for the gamble, if your not be safe and pay the extra now. But don't b!tch at the service guy in 6 yrs cause you have to pay the new guy for 5 hrs labor trying to diagnose a intermittent problem he has never seen before. Or change that cmpressor or heat exchanger that he has never changed before.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    compressor or evaporator coil , compressor failure is rare in a properly installed and maintained system but evap coil leaks are not. here in south Texas ac systems run 9 months a year. You might try to see if there is some wiggle room in the price of the warranty. If it is a couple of k i would skip it.

Post Likes
    Thanks - prices are pretty fixed. One other thing - I'm -pretty- sure (will double check) that the P/L warranty ties me to a certain dealer, who might not be my choice 6 years from now.

Guys - you all -do- make sense, but having 2 systems doubles all the numbers (as I'm not going to 'bet' on which is more likely to fail), and i think you can see that it's hard to ante up close to a couple of K.

good thoughts, though, I appreciate it.
    /j

[i wonder, if a well-maintained compressor dies after like, 3-4 years, isn't it possible that with some begging you could get the -manufacturer- to chip in for the labor?]

Post Likes
    Thanks - prices are pretty fixed. One other thing - I'm -pretty- sure (will double check) that the P/L warranty ties me to a certain dealer, who might not be my choice 6 years from now.

Guys - you all -do- make sense, but having 2 systems doubles all the numbers (as I'm not going to 'bet' on which is more likely to fail), and i think you can see that it's hard to ante up close to a couple of K.

good thoughts, though, I appreciate it.
    /j

[i wonder, if a well-maintained compressor dies after like, 3-4 years, isn't it possible that with some begging you could get the -manufacturer- to chip in for the labor?]
    you would be tied to just carrier/bryant dealers, and good luck begging your way to shared labor, they offered labor coverage and you turned it down. I understand 2 systems is hard to justify extra cash, but if you don't have it to fork out, just make sure you have the parts warranty.
    Last edited by cmajerus; 11-11-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    You can't fix stupid

Post Likes
    agreed

Post Likes
    T

A snow ball has a better chance in , you know where.

Post Likes
    probably 8-}

Post Likes
    There's always a catch. 8-{

I got to look at the paperwork on the extended parts warranty from Bryant. It excludes "dealer markup on parts". Do you mark your parts up? Is the Warranty really going to give me only 50-70% coverage?

If so, starting to seem like not worth it.

Post Likes
    We had the same dilemna. Couple of grand for 10 yrs..........We went with Carrier anyway but...........Trane had better warranty deal. Even to drop down to 5yr p&L was close to a grand. (2 HP systems - Performance)

Decided to "self insure". Could be a mistake? Moving in 5 years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in