Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extended Warranty, Parts/Labor or Parts only?

Hi - I finally found a local dealer who would offer me a Bryant-backed extended 10yr warranty on my Evolution Furnace, and my Evolution A/C system (i have separate systems, heat in the basement, A/C in the Attic).

The price for parts was low-hundreds of dollars. I guess it's low because it only covers years 6-10, and only those parts not covered for 10yrs. The price for P/L was significantly (~6-7x) higher - probably because it covers years 2-10?

anyway, from what I'm reading here, it seems like going for the parts may be worth it - make it back on one repair . Since I have to cover both systems (don't know which will break), going P & L seems rather pricey for the extra benefit, especially as I would expect labor costs to be limited to a couple of hours per repair? (whereas parts costs can be, well, whatever).

what do you guys think?

Thanks
    /j

Do you think it might be possible for labor rates to be 175 or more an hour 5 years from now.

Find out current labor rate, then decide if the labor warranty is worth it.

As gasoline prices go up, more companies will be charging a trip/fuel charge, might want to add that possibility in to your decision.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks BT - at current labor rates, I'd be prepaying for more than 10 hours of labor across both systems. Even a few years from now that could still be like 3 repairs (the company is only 10 minutes away). Not saying it -wouldn't- pay off (can't prove a negative), but was thinking my chances of making back the parts-only was much better, as I think i might make it back on the first repair.
    /j

parts and labor warranty also cover freon, welding charges ,nitrogen and other misc charges if 1 of the coil leaks or compressor fails in the next 10 years the p&l warranty will seam like a bargain

I thought compressor had 10-year warranty....

most due but its not going to be changed for free.

unless it is in the first year

well, maybe it's not rational, I can see spending a few hundred to cover the parts, but close to a couple K (both systems) to pre-buy my labor seems tougher - i could invest that sort of money 8-}

but I'll think about it...

anyway, wasn't the reason I paid up for Evolution, in part, reliability? 8-}

/j

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post

anyway, wasn't the reason I paid up for Evolution, in part, reliability? 8-}

/j
    If it was that reliable, you wouldn't have to pay for a 10 years parts warranty.

Put the money in a CD, if your right your ahead of the game.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    If it was that reliable, you wouldn't have to pay for a 10 years parts warranty.

Put the money in a CD, if your right your ahead of the game.

and if your wrong CHA-CHING!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    and if your wrong CHA-CHING!

See - I'm not sure I buy that - I like insuring against some mega-expensive part, but when would labor ever run more than 2-3 hours....

Quote Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post
    See - I'm not sure I buy that - I like insuring against some mega-expensive part, but when would labor ever run more than 2-3 hours....
    heat exchangers and compressors can take awhile, if its a burnout compressor, all day might become an issue. If your a poker playing person, go for the gamble, if your not be safe and pay the extra now. But don't b!tch at the service guy in 6 yrs cause you have to pay the new guy for 5 hrs labor trying to diagnose a intermittent problem he has never seen before. Or change that cmpressor or heat exchanger that he has never changed before.
    You can't fix stupid

compressor or evaporator coil , compressor failure is rare in a properly installed and maintained system but evap coil leaks are not. here in south Texas ac systems run 9 months a year. You might try to see if there is some wiggle room in the price of the warranty. If it is a couple of k i would skip it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast