Thread: sulfur deposits

sulfur deposits

I have inspected two furnaces this week, both Heil single pipe 90's. Both had what appeared to be sulfur deposits in the primary heat exchanger around the burners. Can anyone explain how this occurs, why, and is there a fix? One other thing that is odd is that one was on propane the other was on natural gas. Is this a Heil problem? One other question is has anyone else seen this before?

Please describe the deposits you found. A suphur deposit ought to be yellow for openers. I've never seen a deposit of yellow powder in a gas furnace that might have been sulphur. So I can't really even imagine what might cause such a problem.

Instead, I'll guess that what you saw was a white powder. White powder on burners, vent pipes and other fittings is pretty common on gas equipment, and is usually zinc oxide, caused by the galvanized coatings on steel vent or other pipes corroding a little. That's quite common and usually just needs to be cleaned off.

Zinc Oxide is also the stuff mountain climbers and others sometimes coat their noses with to avoid sunburn.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattlePioneer View Post

Zinc Oxide is also the stuff mountain climbers and others sometimes coat their noses with to avoid sunburn.
    So what you're saying is that the people that live in these houses are mountain climbers?

Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.