Question New Unit now new line set? Help!

Please, someone provide me with some good ole fashioned honest info!! I feel that I getting the run-round, and quite frankly, I am freezing!!
    Here is the skinny: 15 yrs plus heat pump running on Elec back up in MArch 07. No good. Company comes out says: Yup, she a goner, need a new one. I was trying to sell my condo at the time so I was looking for a cheap fix( tee hee he yeah right!). I asked about mix match seer, company said they would look into it. No dice in the end. Company installed a 1.5 ton, good price. Eveything is fine until 8/25/07. I notice water leaking from the ceiling( air handler is upstairs). Six weeks later, two missed days of work and seven visits from techs, it turns out I have a leak in the line set. After buying a brand new unit, I should be good right? I ask what is this? So, Owner comes out, line set replacement is a nightmare apparently, in a condo. He says problem is pre existing and not warrantied. According to him the line set is not a part of the unit, only unit is warrantied. Owner freely admitted his company does not normally check the line set. He would not directly answer my question when I asked how does he know if my original was not actually broken but the line set all along, since less than seven months later I am in the same boat, still running on electric back up.
    I know next nothing about the HVAC. How do I know if I am being taken advantage of? Some one please provide me with some practical no BS advice!!

You did not pay to have a new line set installed, now you need one.

They were just trying to save you a few bucks by not replacing it before, you would have paid to have the line replaced even with the install of a new system. I sometimes install new equipment with old lines if the lines do not appear to have been leaking.
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

Confused

Understood! I know that the line set needs replacing, but now no one will everknow if the orginal unit was bad to begin with. Just cuz it was old does not mean it was broken. Now I have a new unit that has the issue as the old.

No one here can speak on the integrity of the company you are dealing with. However, odds are that the leak in the line set, killed your previous unit (tanked the compressor). Your new unit is simply out of refrigerant but if you try to use it, it too will be dead, but not necessarily yet.

Run a new line set. I also bet that if'n they had quoted you a new line set, someone else would have said using the old one is fine and you would have (more often than not) taken that lower quote and been under the impression these guys were just out to rip you off. People often mistake what they WANT to hear as being the gospel when they probably should pay more attention to what they NEED to hear. I agree with you, how would you know? You wouldnt... Ahh that is the canundrum.

Dont feel bad, I hear techs do the same thing, some will say "I do it all the time and never have a probelm" when in fact they usually arent around long enough to see the problem they have created by choosing convinience as an argument against what they deep down know to be true.

The line set might not have been leaking when they swapped out your unit.

As you said, that will never be known for sure now.

You asked them about mix matching to save money. They knew you wouldn't go for a line set, so they didn't offer it as an option.

I'm giving them the benifit of doubt, as it would have shown when they vacuumed the system.

And yes, condo's can be a challenge to run a new line set.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Megnmck View Post
    Understood! I know that the line set needs replacing, but now no one will everknow if the original unit was bad to begin with. Just cuz it was old does not mean it was broken.
    NOW

It is Broken

Fix It !
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Oh, If only it was that easy. I don't have the money. So, I don't know what I am going to do. It actaully would have been cheaper for me to put the line set in first. I was trying to sell my house at the time and they knew.....bottom line is I don't have what they need, and certaily not this time of year. Tech left me yesterday running on Em heat. It really is enogh to make me cry!!! What else can go wrong...seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    NOW

It is Broken

Fix It !

First thing is to step back, breathe deep, and not get stressed out over something that in the big spectrum of life is nothing more than a momentary bump in the road.
    Fix it when you get the funds...you've got heat, some people don't.
    And don't ask what else can go wrong, if you look for trouble it, you'll find it.
    So with all that being said...enjoy life, ain't it fun

You are offering the same advice as my friend who is a contractor. I will try to remember to breathe. I appreciate the feedback. all of this is so darn technical. And so difficult for a lay person to understand. So much trust goes into soemthing like this. How great that a site like this exists. A heartfelf thank yo goes out to all who have replied.

If I were you and you want piece of mind. I would have them isolate the evap coil, the lineset and condenser coil from each other and charge them with nitrogen to make sure the leak is in the lineset or not a leaky coil. (which happens on new equipment) You already aren't using it and it will prevent future tailchasing which this looks as if it could possibly turn into at a later date with lots of finger pointing and anger on both parties parts. At this point it doesn't matter what was the cause of the old equipment, it is dead and gone and probably melted down at this point. Line sets aren't free, copper is at a premium right now and it sux to run a new lineset. If you're nice to your contractor, I'm sure he won't do the nitro test for free, but he might work with you since you have spent some $$$ with him. Most of us will operate that way. If you're a d1ck with me, I'll charge you a premium, if you're nice, I'll usually cut you a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    If I were you and you want piece of mind. I would have them isolate the evap coil, the lineset and condenser coil from each other and charge them with nitrogen to make sure the leak is in the lineset or not a leaky coil. (which happens on new equipment) You already aren't using it and it will prevent future tailchasing which this looks as if it could possibly turn into at a later date with lots of finger pointing and anger on both parties parts. At this point it doesn't matter what was the cause of the old equipment, it is dead and gone and probably melted down at this point. Line sets aren't free, copper is at a premium right now and it sux to run a new lineset. If you're nice to your contractor, I'm sure he won't do the nitro test for free, but he might work with you since you have spent some $$$ with him. Most of us will operate that way. If you're a d1ck with me, I'll charge you a premium, if you're nice, I'll usually cut you a deal.
    This is without a doubt the best advice. This does sound like it is going to get very pricey as a line set in a condo can indeed be a big challenge.

I am just curious though, how was the diagnoses made about the line set? Was it because everything else was checked and they couldn't find any leaks on what they could get to? As you said bmathews, isolating is the only way I would continue with this. If your going to have to spend on a costly repair, rule everything out! Maybe you will get lucky and the current leak is in the 1.5 ton unit that was just installed. If you want to call that lucky! Good luck, would love to here back about this one Megnmck.
    Screaming at me like a jack*** doesn't work because the air works in my truck and at home!

I was looking for a job when I came here and I'll be looking for one when I leave!

Yeah boss, the Model# starts with j and ends with k!

Well, This all started wit the a/c blowing ambienent air( please remember I have no expertise in this area, so snickering at my terminolgy!!! ; )
    Anyhow had leaking from the access panel. It took 6 weeks and seven visits to figure this out. Although in hind sight it is baffling: it was losing freon and the charge was effective. This was always the story. Finally company set up the isolation of the of the sections. I will ask about the nitrogen. Tech determined it was not the from the outside unit or the inside(air handler). Therfore, the default was the line set. Wanna here a night mare? Easy fix is running the new line out side in casing... does this make sense. The company does this b/c access is so difficult. Here is the kicker: Condo assocaition said: NO. Can you see why I am freaking??? So instead of a couple of grand, I am offering up my first born ; P
    Any takers??
    Back to the point, after i met with the owner, he schedule the same tech to come out and test again... second opinion I guess. Tech came out for an hour and then left. Job was suppose to be four hours and now, heaven knows whe he will come back.