Thread: How 'quiet' is a Rheem A/C?

Post Likes

How 'quiet' is a Rheem A/C?

Rheem claims their furnace is among the quietest, which I tend to agree with. How about their outside A/C units? Anyone have an opinion as to how Rheem compares in A/C operation noise to others, like Trane & Carrier?

Post Likes
    any unit that is properly installed and is a higher end system will be fairly quiet. If you put the builders model unit outside, it will probably be louder.

Post Likes
    Which unit? The RAND/RANL-JAZ units are probably the noisiest Rheems but really are fairly quiet. The JEZ units have compressor covers and are quieter yet. These aren't the quietest units available but by most standards, I don't think people would call them offensive.

Comparing to anyone else, again need to be specific. Trane has some fairly quiet units and some of the noisiest. Carrier uses all scroll compressors so overall would be quieter and some of the high end are particularly quiet.

Post Likes
    My neighbor has a Ruud 13 SEER unit. I can hear it within a close distance, but it's just a low noise. As BaldLoonie said, by most standards, they are very acceptable. Hopefully this offers some reassurance.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Which unit? The RAND/RANL-JAZ units are probably the noisiest Rheems but really are fairly quiet. The JEZ units have compressor covers and are quieter yet. These aren't the quietest units available but by most standards, I don't think people would call them offensive.

Comparing to anyone else, again need to be specific. Trane has some fairly quiet units and some of the noisiest. Carrier uses all scroll compressors so overall would be quieter and some of the high end are particularly quiet.

Unit is model RAPL036JEZ. Any specific comments as to how 'quite' this one will be? Thanks to everyone for your advise!

Post Likes
    Sound is subjective, the sound ratings for that unit are 73 db... the furnace you speak of is a 68. However, sound ratings are measured from 18" on all sides and top at about 24" I think then averaged.

To tell you the truth, the 16 SEER is rated at 71 or 72 db but they are quieter than that in real life.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in