Charge for new system - What to look for?

Hi:

They have almost finished installing the new 1.5 ton goodman (15 SEER) unit.

They will be charging the system soon. What should I watch to ensure it is done correctly? Temps are about 75 F outside at the moment.

Also, how do I tell if a TXV is installed (isn't one required to achieve the 15 SEER rating?).

Thanks and thank to those that responded to my previous post!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_homeOwner View Post
    Hi:

They have almost finished installing the new 1.5 ton goodman (15 SEER) unit.

They will be charging the system soon. What should I watch to ensure it is done correctly? Temps are about 75 F outside at the moment.

Also, how do I tell if a TXV is installed (isn't one required to achieve the 15 SEER rating?).

Thanks and thank to those that responded to my previous post!!
    If you have to ask the question in red why did you hire these folks, do you get on a Medical forum and ask what you should look for from your Doc during heart surgery? just is not a very ethical question in my opinion.
    Also I don't think Goodman requires a TEV for there higher seer units.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Mr. Bill:

Sigh. No offense was meant to anyone.

I asked the question because from what I have read, getting the charge right is not as easy as one, two, three. Plus the studies I have seen indicate a large percent of systems are not properly charged. Thus my question.

Is it unethical to observe, and to observe with knowledge as opposed to ignorance? Most companies prefer customers with knowledge as opposed to ignorance.

Alex:

I am a homeowner, not an HVAC Pro, like yourself. I have a Goodman heat pump that was installed in June.

The TXV on the Goodman air handler is installed outside of the air handler cabinet. You can't miss it if it is installed. The liquid line (small refrigerant line) will be brazed to the TXV. After the install, it gets a thermal blanket wrap to eliminate condensation (looks like a beer can cooler).

As for charging a TXV system, Goodman's Installation and Service Reference (which I am looking at now and you should get with your system) recommends charging to 5 to 9 degrees of subcooling, and checking/adjusting the TXV to 7 to 9 degrees of superheat. The tech should know what this all means (hopefully). These instruction are on page 6 of the install manual. The system comes pre-charged for 15 feet of lineset. Additional charge may not be needed.

FYI, the TXV for 410A refrigerant is different from a TXV for R22 refrigerant. R22, 1.5 ton, TXV Part# TX2N2.

Best to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    IAlso I don't think Goodman requires a TEV for there higher seer units.
    All Goodman heat pump/ac systems are ARI rated with TXVs and not the piston flowrater that comes with the evap coil.

Alex gets an "atta boy" for choosing the optional TXV. Best $50 that he spent.

Thanks all for the information (special thanks to Gary).

I bought a 1.5 ton Goodman and a 4 ton Amana. Today they installed the 1.5 ton Goodman.

The lineset is about 40-60 feet (2nd floor) so refrigerant had to be added (i.e., more than 15 feet).

Outside temp was 75F, head pressure was 150 PSI, and he said something about 40 F low. My bet is the charge is close to right but not really right.

I wonder if there is a chart on the web.....

It takes years to gain the knowledge needed to properly charge units and learn other aspects of performance associated with proper charging.
    You will not find what you need on the internet.
    Since this thread borders on the line of diy...it will be closed.