Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Old tech need to work on relic...

Customer wanted us to work on this. Over our heads. Would take a day or 2 just to figure out the 22.3 miles of wire in the thing and the controls on the wall. Or rip out and eliminate 95% of the controls!

1955 GE WeatherTron HP single package in the basement

GE brown compressor. The HO installed himself 30 some years ago. Took him a week. It still runs and somewhat heats til one of the dozens of relays takes it out. We couldn't find any place to hook up manifold. Guess it was that fitting on the side of the compressor plus similar one on the discharge.

Indoor blower. Looks like Williamson green to me. Bet it wasn't moving 2000 CFM! Check out that little tank. Receiver or acuumulator depending upon mode?

Blowers for the "outdoor" coil under the unit. HO said originally had one motor but he wanted more airflow so changed it to 1 motor per blower. They came on just fine. Check out the right motor, it may be original or at least ancient.

Where the air come from and exhausts to

OH, he'd like someone to work on his 1955 fridge too. Worked until recently.

doesn't look nearly as complicated as the heat pump

Seriously, he would like the refer fixed so if anyone in Indiana wants a little challenge...
    Last edited by BaldLoonie; 09-30-2008 at 03:53 PM.

I would take the challenge on trying to fix it, but unfortunately my limit is 22.2 miles of wire. That is the type of call where you show up, take a gander at the equipment, look the customer in the eye and give 'em a "you can't be serious" kinda look, and make a run for the door!
    Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

i would think that the guys that installed that are either retired or dead

wow installed himself and it still runs
    i would love to get a hand on that thing just for the chalange of getting it going again if only for a few days

wish it was in jersey i would dive right in

fly me out there I will get it running

Tell him

Just let it go brother, just let go. On a serious note, what size does it take to replace it/that/thing
    Be safe not fast. body parts don't grow back

Wow.. Some system there! I bet his light bill is high!

Bald, you forget the photo for the exhaust, and intake? You showed the relay box.

as long as the fridge isn't ammonia i can fix it. and if i could get there

thanks for the pictures, now i don't feel quite so old.

can't see 'um

I'd love to look at that system, but I can't get the photos to come up. Anyone else having that problem?

What's it not doing? Like others, I'd love to work on it, but it wouldn't be cost effective for the HO. It may be a relic but it's still just a heatpump...and those controls/relays are modern minus the fact they didn't appear to mark them.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

just like a 10 year old 10 seer

its obsolete, parts arent available, the cost of repair is almost double the cost of a new one and the cost to operate it will be 5 times the cost to operate a new one . what possible reason could he offere to want it fixed?

GE WT heat pump?

If my memory serves me correct it was a General Electric WT heat pump.
    Diaphragm type defrost sensor (works off vacuum when coil freezes up)
    Fitting on compressor shell and fitting on discharge rot-o-loc takes service valve adapter (still have kit, multiple bits from torx to allen) to check pressures

When I started working on heat pumps, out of tech school, there were at least 9 or more in town.
    The company I worked for did power distribution and Duke Power talked the company president in to diversifying and starting a heat and cool business so he could start installing these power misers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast