Trane Dual Fuel Questions

Hello all,

Last month, I had a Trane XL14c 4DCY4-UC-2 (4DCY4036A1075AA) Dual Fuel, 3 ton package unit with a BAYSEN01ATEMPA Outdoor Temperature Sensor hooked up to a TCONT402AN32DA Thermostat and have noticed that the heat pump cuts on for a while but invariably goes to stage one gas, even though the outside temperature is in the 40's and 50's. My wife keeps complaining that the air is "freezing" coming from the vents when the unit first cuts on but I keep telling her that is just a Heat Pump and she is exaggerating slightly as the air is cool, not freezing. She says when it first turns on she dreads it because it actually feels like it gets colder, then the gas turns on and it immediately warms up. It seams the gas runs more than the heat pump. My understanding of the dual fuel was that it would only switch to gas if:
    a) it was too cold outside-i.e. less than 38 or so degrees.
    OR
    b) the differential between the current inside temperature and desired inside temperature was large enough - thought I remembered 5 degrees?

Is my understanding correct?
    Should the gas be running with the outdoor temperatures in the 40's and 50's?
    How cold should the air be coming out of the vents when the heat pump is operating?

Any help, advice or knowledge anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

David

First of all, assuming unit was sized correctly, gas heat should not come on when outside temps are in 40s-50s. This is not normal.

As far as "cold air" from the heat pump, you should be getting a supply air temperature of low 90s to mid 90s. Your wife should not even notice whether the package unit is in HP or gas heat mode.

At what temperature is your outdoor temperature sensor set? I would think around 32 deg fah. If you don't know, you need to find out and how to adjust it up or down to meet your home's comfort and system's operating effciency between gas and electric.

And if you have a programmable thermostat with setback feature, I would want gas heat locked out for recovery also at around 32 degrees.

My advice is to have installing dealer back out ASAP and review all these issues.

IMO

Thanks tigerdunes! I thought something might be wrong. I've placed a service call but wanted another opinion so if I were to get "everythings OK" I could at least disagree.

Dave

David

Let us know what dealer finds.

Do you mind stating location you live, your electric rate, and size of your home?

Good LucK!

Have your dealer high light your settings in your installers guide for the set up program that they selected. item 35 for aggressive recovery may be selected.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    David

Let us know what dealer finds.

Do you mind stating location you live, your electric rate, and size of your home?

Good LucK!
    I live in Nashville, TN. Our current electric rate is 8.272 cents/kwh (including their "fuel cost adjustment") and my home is a two story 3,200 sq foot home with a third floor 400 sq. ft. room (no windows). We have lots of vinyl, double paned windows, two story entry and living room. The home was built in 1993 and has well insulated walls and attic however there isn't any insulation under the floor in the crawl space. My upstairs unit is a split system comprising of a XL14i 3.5 ton Compressor (2TTX4042B1000A) with variable speed XV80 natural gas furnace (2TXCC037A53HCAA-Air handler I believe?) with Honeywell TH5000 thermostat and is working great. Both units were installed last month. My wife just sent me an email and it reads "This morning after you had it on 69, it dropped down to 67 degrees again. It was pretty chilly, so I turned it up to 70 degrees. The heat turned on and went from Stage 1 to Stage 2 immediately. This continued for about an hour until it cut off. Nothing came back on and I noticed that in 30 minutes the temp dropped down to 69 and then the unit changed to Stage 1 (nothing or very very little was coming from the vents during this stage). 10 min later it went to Stage 2 and it has warm air coming out again."
    We initially had some issues with the installation of the upstairs unit however once the owner came out, he apologized and they corrected the issues. He called me inquiring about the service call and once I described what was happening, he said he'd put a call into Trane and that they would get it resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Have your dealer high light your settings in your installers guide for the set up program that they selected. item 35 for aggressive recovery may be selected.
    This sounds like it may be the case, based on the usage of "aggressive recovery". Is this a good, bad or in different thing?