Do you have to replace the lineset?

If replacing a 17yr old AC with a new one, 14SEER with R22, is it okay to keep the old lineset?

Yes, as long as it is sized properly and there are no known leaks, which should be checked for prior to start-up.

Good Luck

The installer I was leaning toward suggested keeping the old lineset. It just seemed odd to replace everything else but not that. But, I guess it makes sense that copper does not wear out. As for size, I recall he mentioned it was the correct diameter, but was not if I went with a R410 A/C. Thanks!

I would change it the lineset if I could.Former installer,you never go wrong with a new lineset.That just my 2.

We like to change it when we can. If your staying with R22 and you dont have leaks in the system you should be able to get away without changing it. Why would you high SEER without going with R410A?

Quote Originally Posted by voleye View Post
    We like to change it when we can. If your staying with R22 and you dont have leaks in the system you should be able to get away without changing it. Why would you high SEER without going with R410A?
    Thanks. Why?...It's much less expensive for the R22 unit and I'm one that believes R22 will still be readily and reasonably available for at least the life of this new unit. It's my understanding there is little to no difference between R22 and 410A when it comes to efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinciwinters View Post
    If replacing a 17yr old AC with a new one, 14SEER with R22, is it okay to keep the old lineset?
    the acidity level in the lines should be addressed. On some bad compressor burnouts(failures). they can be too high. Dont ruin new equupment by skipping this step.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinciwinters View Post
    Re-use should be avoided if at all possible. A lineset is not that expensive relative to the other components. Why take shortcuts with a new installation.

The only reason to re-use a lineset is if replacement would result in a major construction issue. And if a lineset is re-used it better be flushed out and the flushing chemicals cost nearly as much as a new lineset. (ex: Nu Calgon RX-11)

I agree with davefr. I think there could be some warranty issues.

If you are now moving to R410a I suggest you to replace the lineset for a new one, R22 uses mineral oil and you don't want to have any trace of it on your new system as it affects heat transfer, the price of a new lineset is not considerable to avoid it.

Remember a good installation will reduce the chances of premature failures, most guys is this forum will agree that a good installation is more important than a good manufacturer.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
    - Steven Wright

Thanks you all. I'm convinced. New lineset it is.

I just work on the things for a living but I beg to differ with whoever told you 410a is no more efficient than r-22.

And if I were installing a new system I would always install a new line set. The cost is minimal compared to the rest of the system. copper doesn't "Wear out" but I have seen copper where the lines were in acid soil and there were lovely little pits in the copper and all the gas in the system was gone.....

If the lineset is accessable replace it. Sometimes there is no way to replace them with out major reconstruction.