+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electrical Hackery

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post

From an electrical theory standpoint, it might be doable to split 240V among the top and bottom portions of a convenience outlet with a common neutral to get 120V per outlet, but I'm not sure how kosher it is with NEC.

It is more than kosher........ NEC does allow it.

Post Likes
    thats right the neutral is not just a ground wire it is a load carying conductor if you wire a 110 outlet like that you could overload the neutral wire

Post Likes
    Again what I said was misconstrued. The outlet in the original post was WRONG and the a#% that did that should have his tag / license / permit / card or what ever pulled and never be allowed to ever work with electrical circuits ever!!!!

I have wired many, many, many, mulit-branch circuits.

ONLY THE EMBALANCE BETWEEN THE TWO OUTLETS WILL BE CARRIED BY THE NETURAL.

If a 6 amp load plugged into the top outlet and an 8 amp load plugged into the bottom outlet, the neutral will only be carrying 2 amps. As the wire going to the outlet will be matched in size between the line legs and neutral leg. Then should be fused properly to protect the size of the lines. The neutral wire is in no danger what so ever.

This thread is a dead pony as far as I am concerned and I will not beat it any longer.
    The deject-ers of what I have said have absolutely no clue what a multi branch circuit is or how it works. I have ran out of patience and the will power to educate the unknowing and or unwilling to learn any longer.

Like my tag line says:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in