Unhappy Rising cost of home heating oil

Due to the ever increasing price of home heating oil.
    Would it be a good idea to install a low mass "3" pass boiler such as...
    the burnham "LE" or the CROWN-FREEPORT ?? or a Columbia "3" pass boiler
    or a Thermo-dynamics or last but not least ???????
    an "EK" system "2000" ?????????

Smile Rates are ? in N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
    Due to the ever increasing price of home heating oil.
    Would it be a good idea to install a low mass "3" pass boiler such as...
    the burnham "LE" or the CROWN-FREEPORT ?? or a Columbia "3" pass boiler
    or a Thermo-dynamics or last but not least ???????
    an "EK" system "2000" ?????????
    Look at the Bigger Picture ... What are your utility/fuel rates?
    Electric ( kw = 3413 BTU )
    Oil ( 130,000 x 90% = 117,000 BTU /gal)
    Natural Gas ( therm = 100,000 BTU )

Heat Pump C.O.P. might be ~3 for > 30' F.
    Use ~ 80 - 90% efficiency for furnaces and
    determine cost of 100,000 BTU.

i.e.
    1. Natural Gas $1.30 per therm = $1.43 per 100,000 BTU output.
    2. Oil at $2.50 per gal = $2.14 per 100,000 BTU output
    3. Electric at $0.15 / kW = _______________ $ 4.395 / 100,000 BTU
    100,000 BTU/ 3413 BTU/ kw = 29.3 kW

with C.O.P. 3 ... $1.46
    So you need to know C.O.P. at several steps in the operating range ( 28'F - 60'F) and number of hours in the selected temperature range.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Unhappy oil cost

heat pump in n.y. not economically viable Electric costs on long island are very high.

I have an LE

only because it was top flued and I didn't have the space for a 3 pass rear vented boiler. The Biasi is a great 3 pass CI boiler, usually cheaper then buderus and lower volume. I suggest getting an indirect for hot water, especially if you only have copper fin tube BB in the house. I'd suggest an outdoor reset control with a priority control on the indirect. The sectional CI boilers offer you more size ranges while the steel models are lighter but usually only come in one size and just get fired at different rates. Lower efficencies at higher firing rates.

The EK is a great concept, but the cheaper components: glass lined booster tank, Beckett burner, don't justify the price IMO.

Thumbs up Compare ...

Quote Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
    heat pump in n.y. not economically viable Electric costs on long island are very high.
    So Why do some Long Islanders install Water Source Heat Pumps?

Well ... ... ... $0.22 / kW at C.O.P. 4. = Effectively $0.055 /kW
    _______ .055 * 29.3 = $1.61 which is
    Still ~ 25 % less than oil at $2.50 / Gallon

C.O.P. = 4 +/- from

http://www.climatemaster.com/share/R...tion_4_TTS.pdf
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

The aveage L.I'.er

Doesn't have the 10 grand for drilling a well for a GSHP. When our property is only 50 or 60 ft wide, it's hard to get the drilling equipment into the backyard. 1000 sq ft back yards and the cess pools makes trenching the tubing around the property unlikely.

Oil heat is still King on LI, where only about 75% of homes have access to NG piping.

we only have a 25' wide lot ... and were able to put in the vertical borehole for a GSHP without any problems

So long as the drilling rig can get up your street, it's doable

By the way, we previously had an oil boiler - with the rise in the price of oil, I'm sure glad we got rid of that beast (and associated accident-waiting-to-happen-oil-tank-in-the-basement).

Paul in Montreal.

continuation

I have an acre and 1/4 however...I have a 16 year old burnham "V-7"
    conventional type boiler I just replaced my phase "3" in january with a
    "VAUGHN" stone lined Indirect.
    I have all baseboard heat...Zone # 1 "23-ft high-output baseboard for large room which is the kitchen,diningroom,livingroom....
    Zone # 2 49-ft standard baseboard for 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.
    Zone # 3 40-ft standard baseboard for a large den and bathroom in basement.
    Zone # 4 is a new Vaughn indirect....

4 of my friends and quite a few of my co-workers have put in Crown freeports
    in their homes and are satisfied with the oil savings,the ease of cleaning and the smart design of this boiler....
    Yes my boiler room is small however if I relocate my indirect to an unfinished area of my basement "20-ft" away and insulate my pipes I should be able to fit the crown in the boiler room..

Even if fuel oil was cheap !!!! a conventional boilers design seems outdated and "STUPID" !!!!!!!! The "3" pass design is brilliant...

Crown's OK

Just they require return temp to be over 130 degrees I think. Biasi, Burnham MPO, etc. handle lower temps better. All of the steel boilers you mentioned are of a 2 pass design: the flue gases bounce off the back wall and around the pressure vessel through flue tubes all around the outer side of the boiler.
    Low water temps produce scale and rust around the turbulators. With 4 zones you might need a larger boiler, check the AFUE numbers, you'll see better numbers on the larger 3 pass CI boilers.

What happened to the Phase #?

Pyropaul: What does the drilling cost up in Canada. Parts of Long Island, you'll hit the water table 20-50 ft down. Not sure if thats ideal for GS.

Question the phase "3"

when my heating system was 15 years old I started to get trickling from the boiler relief valve the boiler pressure was going up.

My friend who is an oil tech told me the phase 3 's develped leaks. after i removed the phase "3" I drained it put access fittings on the domestic stubs and pressurized it with nitrogen to "50" psi...4 hours later my guages still read 50 psi though...... however my own fault 15 years prior when I had installed
    the phase "3" I failed to install an expansion tank on the domestic side of the indirect... Did that contribute to the demise of the Phase "3" ??????
    On my Vaughn I have an expansion tank on the domestic side.

Hmm

I guess you need to know what your Domestic water line pressure is. Some areas do have high chlorine levels and this eats the Stainless over time. The Vaughn is better for harsh water, but watch the gasket on the coil. I hear those sometime leak also. BTW the 3 pass Columbia has a huge water jacket, holds like 25 gal! Probably since it offers a tankless coil option. I stay away from boilers with tankless coil options. Even a bolted cover is an opporunity for a leak down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsp View Post
    Pyropaul: What does the drilling cost up in Canada. Parts of Long Island, you'll hit the water table 20-50 ft down. Not sure if thats ideal for GS.
    We paid $14 a foot on one project and $17 a foot on another. Hitting the water table is probably a good thing as the heat transfer capacity of wet ground is better than dry.

Paul.

If it were mine, I'd get a geothermal heat pump. In so far as your electric rates, everyplace else isn't far behind (mostly thanks to deregulation and anti-nuke types). If you don't like your electric rates, get some solar panels and put up a windmill.