Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heat pump stinks

Post Likes

heat pump stinks

I have a heat pump with the blower in the attic. Recently the weather has been such that the unit will be in the heating mode during the night and the cooling mode during the day. I have noticed that the air coming out of the vents stinks when in cooling mode, but not heating mode. I assume the stink is because the trap is dried out and gungy air is being sucked in through the trap. Why would this not happen, or why would it not be noticeable, while in the heating mode?

Post Likes
    Describe the smell.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Describe the smell.
    I'll try.

It is not as putrid as the rotting rat I found in the crawl space last week. I would say it is musty with just a hint of sweetness.

Post Likes
    Refrigerant leak? R410?

Post Likes
    dirty sock syndrome.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deprodigy View Post
    Refrigerant leak? R410?
    It is R410a. Does it have a smell that might be what I described?

Post Likes
    No you wouldnt be smelling the refrigerant.

Post Likes
    If it's got a sweet smell only in cooling mode are you sure there is not a smelly filter attachment or something stuck to the coil you would only smell when it gets wet. Are your filters getting replaced also?

Post Likes
    its dirty sock syndrome as previously stated

Post Likes
    Here's some information on dirty sock syndrome incase you are unaware of what is being discussed Marka: http://www.hannabery.com/dirtysock.shtml

At this point I'd suggest calling a contractor to check to see if you have this issue and go about treatment.

Post Likes
    Dirty sock syndrome is usually smelled in heating mode. His explination explains it's happening in cooling mode.

Still seem like dirty sock syndrome?

Post Likes
    How about it's stinking shoe syndrom?

My "guess" is that what's happening is that the coil and/or the drain pan is dirty.

You wet it up and get the "gunk" all slimy during the day during ac mode then dry it out at night in heating mode.

Next day you start wetting down whatever is there again and for whatever reason it's giving off the smell you're experiencing.

No matter what it is....... a smell from your ductwork needs to be addressed by cleaning and possibly some form of other remediation. In some instances smells come from molds that are not healthy for the occupants for the home.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Thank you for all the replies, especially the link explaining "dirty sock syndrome". I believe I will contact my HVAC service company (also installed the system) to see if one of those UV devices would be helpful.

Post Likes
    A UV lamp might not even be necessary to fix this issue, but a contractor onsite should be able to determine that. Good luck.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by a/c-harris View Post
    its dirty sock syndrome as previously stated
    Bingo both are right clean coil and treat coil,Smell gone.Happy customer.

Post Likes
    dirty something, when was the last time the unit was serviced? Clean coils are happy coils, makes sense to me

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acjoe View Post
    dirty something, when was the last time the unit was serviced? Clean coils are happy coils, makes sense to me
    I have a service agreement with my HVAC co. - they last came in June (supposed to include cleaning the coils). Should be back next month.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
    Dirty sock syndrome is usually smelled in heating mode. His explination explains it's happening in cooling mode.

Still seem like dirty sock syndrome?
    It has been in the cooling mode 100% of the times I have encountered it.

Very thoroughly cleaning the coil may get rid of it for a season, but it usually comes back. Replacing the coil with a coated coil is the only 100% positive way to do away with it permanently.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It has been in the cooling mode 100% of the times I have encountered it.

Very thoroughly cleaning the coil may get rid of it for a season, but it usually comes back. Replacing the coil with a coated coil is the only 100% positive way to do away with it permanently.

Thanks. I actually forgot to put the question marks behind my sentence since I personally haven't ever dealth with "dirty sock syndrome"

Post Likes
    And I should add "that I am aware of" to the end of the last line of my post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in