Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206

    Carrier Infinity Zoning Question

    I currently have a 4,000 sq. ft home (including finished part of basement) that is split into two zones for heating and cooling. The zoning is accomplished via an electronic damper (there is a single furnace and a single outdoor A/C unit).

    The bedroom level is one zone; and the 1st floor and basement are combined as the other zone.

    The split between the zones is 40% for the bedroom zone; with the 1st floor/basement being 60%.

    Now the basement has a self-contained home theater room. I have determined that due to the hot air being put out by the projector -- and the heat from 4 or more people's bodies in the room -- that the theater room really needs its own heating/cooling -- separate from the other zones.

    This theater room is 16 x 20 (with a 7' 9" ceiling). The rest of the basement is about 500 sq feet (total for basement -- including theater room -- about 850 sq feet).

    Would it be possible to take my existing Carrier Infinity zoning and add another zone -- JUST for the theater room. Giving me 3 zones: 1. bedrooms; 2. 1st floor and most of finished basement 3. basement theater room

    Also, would it be possible to make the basement AND the theater room each have its own zone. In other words -- keep the bedroom level as one zone; make the main floor its own separate zone; then split the basement into two zones -- 1 for the main part of the basement and the other for the theater room?

    Is this possible? Note that all ductwork is accessible via a drop ceiling in the basement.

    If possible I can approach the HVAC company that installed everything for this house. But I wanted to see if this was even worth bringing up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southern IN
    Posts
    527
    Your infinity zone system should be able to handle up to 4 zones. Depending on the equipment and layout of the duct it should be possible to zone your theater room. Call the installing dealer they should be willing to work out the details.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    Your infinity zone system should be able to handle up to 4 zones. Depending on the equipment and layout of the duct it should be possible to zone your theater room. Call the installing dealer they should be willing to work out the details.
    Can a zone be too small though? I thought all zones had to be similar in size (or pretty close).

    I was thinking a 16 x 20 room would be too small compared to the other zones.

    Also, would it be possible with Infinity zoning for one zone to call for air conditioning, and the other heat?

    For example, in a day when its in the 50s, I could possibly need a/c in the theater room, but heat in the other zones. Is that possible?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southern IN
    Posts
    527
    What model equipment do you have? Is it two stage and what size?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    What model equipment do you have? Is it two stage and what size?
    I have a two stage furnace (but single stage condensor unit)--

    Furnace: 58MVB120-F

    Zone Board 1:

    SYSTXCC4ZC01

    My outdoor unit is: The Carrier Comfort Series: 24ACA4

    I don't have the size info (complete numbers handy).

    Can I operate both a/c and heat at the same time (different zones) with this setup?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southern IN
    Posts
    527
    Quote Originally Posted by eap View Post
    Can I operate both a/c and heat at the same time (different zones) with this setup?
    No, they will run at different times.
    It would be simple if you had a two stage a/c. You should be able to at least zone the whole basement seperate from the main floor & bedrooms. We do that a lot I would probabbly stay away from four zones due to capacity of a/c.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    No, they will run at different times.
    It would be simple if you had a two stage a/c. You should be able to at least zone the whole basement seperate from the main floor & bedrooms. We do that a lot I would probabbly stay away from four zones due to capacity of a/c.
    I would be willing to upgrade two a 2 stage infinity a/c. Since my single stage is only 6 months old -- would I get any credit for that system?

    Is there a market for 6 month old a/c units (lightly used)?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    southern IN
    Posts
    527
    Your installing Dealer would be the best to move your equipment ( hope I dont sound like a broken record) They have the best position to get your problem solved. They know you and your situation and they make money doing this. Give them a call they will help. Thats what we do.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    Your installing Dealer would be the best to move your equipment ( hope I dont sound like a broken record) They have the best position to get your problem solved. They know you and your situation and they make money doing this. Give them a call they will help. Thats what we do.


    Ditto!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Ditto!!
    I know -- but I want to get info in advance from the pros here, so I don't sound like an idiot when I talk to Kenrich Mechanical, or I know if they are having someone talk to me who isn't knowledgeable.

    An informed consumer is a better consumer. So I need to know ahead of time -- what is possible. Does it even make sense?

    If I'm calling for heat in other zones, can I call for a/c in the theater room zone (with carrier zoning), etc.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southern California, LA Metro
    Posts
    387
    You cannot have heat in one zone and AC in another zone at the same time.

    I love the infinity zonning but I think you would be better off with a separate system for the basement!
    Larger Duct, Larger Duct, More Air, More Air
    READ THE MANUAL
    What if I train them and they leave?
    What if you Don't train them and they Stay!
    DSG member

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Posts
    18,836
    The unit will run to heat the zone calling and then to cool the zone calling,or vice versa ,whichever calls first.

    We have done many with home theather rooms,no issues.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    The unit will run to heat the zone calling and then to cool the zone calling,or vice versa ,whichever calls first.

    We have done many with home theather rooms,no issues.
    With the performance series Carrier a/c unit what is the lowest temperature outside that it can still run air conditioning?

    With infinity series Carrier a/c unit, what is the lowest temperature outside that it can still run air conditioning?

    Another question is -- if I were to get a separate a/c unit for my home theater room -- does that require a separate furnace too? I've seen houses with 2 outdoor a/c units -- but I don't know if that requires 2 furnaces as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event