Thread: Does the size of the company matters?

Post Likes

Does the size of the company matters?

Just wondering what problems I might have if I go with a company who employs may be 15-20 people. I have been talking to a company who is the biggest in our area with 300 employees; they also offer service in 2 hours; they have a good record in BBB. Still I don't like them because of their attitude.

What I should be careful if I go with a smaller installer?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    A larger company may have better ongoing training for techs and installer,also a larger talentpool for unusual issues.May be able to respond faster for service.

That said there's a lot of even one man shops on this site,that may be better then the largest shop.

If you don't like their attitude now,when You are Buying,I don't think you'll like it better down the road.

Post Likes
    I agree with Dash. The largest companies in our area are the worst. We are a medium sized company, ant the only companies in my area that I recommend (Besides my own company ) are all small to medium sized shops.

Trust your instincts.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Post Likes
    I would also agree the larger companies that I have had to deal with have been the worst overall. Choose a product and then choose a dealer that you feel comfortable with and will answer your questions and provide you with documentation as needed. Before and after the sale.

Post Likes
    The largest in the chicago area has no respect for small companies.

Post Likes
    Have been on both sides. Started out in a small shop (4 total counting owner). Learned a bunch as a helper. Unfortenatly he went bankrupt! Worked at mid-sized company (12 total) Was a great place to work very personalized relationships. After 10 yrs We were bought by the big fish with all of thier rules regulation and power. We lost the closesness, but were paid better. Left due to ethics of company.

Now run a mid-sized shop(12 hvac, 7 elect.) Try to treat employees well. Have a good relationship with them. In a smaller shop its almost like family not just a machine that produces $$. Although that does have its chalenges

After it is all said and done its personal preference.
    I'D ALWAYS PICK A SMALLER SHOP. I dont like the games of a large shop

Post Likes
    The salesman from this company made some disturbing comments when I asked for a better price. He said only Mexixans, asians and people from your cutlture asked for a better price. Most of the customers just get few estimates and go with the least quote; if they are looking to reduce the cost. That sounded very outrageous for the very reason that there is no standard on pricing. It is not like going to Best Buy and shopping for a TV.

I don't know how can he make such comments to a customer.

Post Likes
    Sounds like this piece of crap needs an ethics lesson or 10!!!

With that kind of sales pitch he must have all the money he needs

Post Likes
    You should send a letter to his boss and compaint about his, maybe the company is a good company but with sales people like this they will loose customers pretty fast.
    After Tuesday, even the calendar goes W T F

Post Likes
    I am one who believes that the reputation of the company far supersedes the size how ever that being said any one that would employ some one who would berate a customer in that manner would not get my business, I also agree that a letter to the companies customer service department should be in order. That is completely unprofessional in every manner speaking if he felt his prices were in fact justified there are multiple ways to handle that better a pot shot is not it.

Best of luck,
    umyeah

Post Likes
    As previously stated the smaller companies are more like a family. They care more about the customers concerns than they are about how much youre going to spend. Not to mention when comes time for service youll usually get the same guy (because he knows YOUR particular system).

Post Likes
    Boy, howdy. The "same tech to the same house" thing can be really important. I go through that with my guys all the time. Years ago, I even had to suffer through that when I worked with my Dad.

I could do a perfect job, but the customer wasn't happy til "that one-eyed guy" came and laid hands on it........or my other favorite "where's your daddy?"

Post Likes
    The biggest advantage that I can think of is that the larger company might get a quicker response from the manufacturer, if there is a problem. Other than that, I agree with everyone else.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jime View Post
    The biggest advantage that I can think of is that the larger company might get a quicker response from the manufacturer, if there is a problem. Other than that, I agree with everyone else.
    Usually the response from mfgr is a reflection of the company. Good companies that do their part and don't waste reps time get good responses. Waste reps time, Get poor response, no matter your size

Post Likes
    Twilli says it's not the size of the company but how you use it
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli says it's not the size of the company but how you use it

I agree with twilli. The size of the company has no direct relationship to the quality, big or small. The advantages of a large company is clearly resources and as someone mentioned, talent pool. That said, some have turnstyles in the employment door.

One man operations dont mean good or bad either. If he's good, he's good, if he's not, he's not. His prices may be lower because of lower overhead, but if he's good he'll be charging what he's worth in the market. If I were a one man operation my prices would be at least what a large company with a decent reputation would be.

I dont like the guys repsonse when you asked for a lower price, but with that said, I dont know how you asked. If the system they offered was out of your price range, they should have offered a system that was. I'm more afraid that some sales guys dont understand that they should offer several system options. Good better best may be marketing mumbo jumbo, but at least it allows them to tailor a system that will make you happy at the price you're willing to pay. In this case, I would probably not deal with him, but a frank discussion with the owner as to why you are going with someone else may wake him up as to what his staff is doing and you may just get your lowered price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by docholiday View Post
    I dont like the guys repsonse when you asked for a lower price, but with that said, I dont know how you asked. If the system they offered was out of your price range, they should have offered a system that was. I'm more afraid that some sales guys dont understand that they should offer several system options. Good better best may be marketing mumbo jumbo, but at least it allows them to tailor a system that will make you happy at the price you're willing to pay. In this case, I would probably not deal with him, but a frank discussion with the owner as to why you are going with someone else may wake him up as to what his staff is doing and you may just get your lowered price.
    well... I was looking for the best systems he has to offer for both A/C and furnace. Before coming to the price, he mentioned about the 2 hour service response which was impressing to me. But his prices where too high for the brand compared to the brand I was considering (American standard). He sounded like a pushy salesman who want to close the deal then and there. So I asked him a better price. I didn't even suggest my expected price. That’s when his racial remarks came. He was pretending as if the whole American customers will just agree to the price in the proposal. I can’t imagine somebody going to a car dealer and buy at the asking price.

Later I called his competitor and saved 2K from what this guy has quoted.

Post Likes
    I think I know the company you are talking about. (They advertise in the newspaper with Chicago Bear players in their ads) I used them for my new furnace and ac. They actually turned out to be the low price for Lennox (I had 2 quotes for the identical equipment) They were also the best value compared to Trane and Carrier comparable units. My salesman was professional, gave me his cel number, and was LOW PRESSURE! I ended up using them due to financing options (the much smaller Trane shop would not offer any financing other than 12 months same as cash.... but then they added back in the interest as a "service charge" that the finance co. charged them) and due to the 15 year warranty, and 2 hour service time. I've had no bad contact with them. That being said, I would definitely communicate your experience with the preisdent of the company (on the sales material, they give you his direct line)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in