Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does the size of the company matters?

Just wondering what problems I might have if I go with a company who employs may be 15-20 people. I have been talking to a company who is the biggest in our area with 300 employees; they also offer service in 2 hours; they have a good record in BBB. Still I don't like them because of their attitude.

What I should be careful if I go with a smaller installer?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    A larger company may have better ongoing training for techs and installer,also a larger talentpool for unusual issues.May be able to respond faster for service.

That said there's a lot of even one man shops on this site,that may be better then the largest shop.

If you don't like their attitude now,when You are Buying,I don't think you'll like it better down the road.

I agree with Dash. The largest companies in our area are the worst. We are a medium sized company, ant the only companies in my area that I recommend (Besides my own company ) are all small to medium sized shops.

Trust your instincts.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

I would also agree the larger companies that I have had to deal with have been the worst overall. Choose a product and then choose a dealer that you feel comfortable with and will answer your questions and provide you with documentation as needed. Before and after the sale.

The largest in the chicago area has no respect for small companies.

Have been on both sides. Started out in a small shop (4 total counting owner). Learned a bunch as a helper. Unfortenatly he went bankrupt! Worked at mid-sized company (12 total) Was a great place to work very personalized relationships. After 10 yrs We were bought by the big fish with all of thier rules regulation and power. We lost the closesness, but were paid better. Left due to ethics of company.

Now run a mid-sized shop(12 hvac, 7 elect.) Try to treat employees well. Have a good relationship with them. In a smaller shop its almost like family not just a machine that produces $$. Although that does have its chalenges

After it is all said and done its personal preference.
    I'D ALWAYS PICK A SMALLER SHOP. I dont like the games of a large shop

The salesman from this company made some disturbing comments when I asked for a better price. He said only Mexixans, asians and people from your cutlture asked for a better price. Most of the customers just get few estimates and go with the least quote; if they are looking to reduce the cost. That sounded very outrageous for the very reason that there is no standard on pricing. It is not like going to Best Buy and shopping for a TV.

I don't know how can he make such comments to a customer.

Sounds like this piece of crap needs an ethics lesson or 10!!!

With that kind of sales pitch he must have all the money he needs

You should send a letter to his boss and compaint about his, maybe the company is a good company but with sales people like this they will loose customers pretty fast.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
    - Steven Wright

I am one who believes that the reputation of the company far supersedes the size how ever that being said any one that would employ some one who would berate a customer in that manner would not get my business, I also agree that a letter to the companies customer service department should be in order. That is completely unprofessional in every manner speaking if he felt his prices were in fact justified there are multiple ways to handle that better a pot shot is not it.

Best of luck,
    umyeah

As previously stated the smaller companies are more like a family. They care more about the customers concerns than they are about how much youre going to spend. Not to mention when comes time for service youll usually get the same guy (because he knows YOUR particular system).

Boy, howdy. The "same tech to the same house" thing can be really important. I go through that with my guys all the time. Years ago, I even had to suffer through that when I worked with my Dad.

I could do a perfect job, but the customer wasn't happy til "that one-eyed guy" came and laid hands on it........or my other favorite "where's your daddy?"

The biggest advantage that I can think of is that the larger company might get a quicker response from the manufacturer, if there is a problem. Other than that, I agree with everyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast