Thread: New system choice concerns plus installation tips appreciated.

Post Likes

New system choice concerns plus installation tips appreciated.

The time has come --We have made our choice and we are bitting the bullet and getting a replacement for our 20-25 year old system-- an infinity carrier gas furnace, infinity A/C and new coil installed in my 1930s home in Washington dc. We are also getting a 10 year parts and labor extended warranty based on the advice of you all on this wonderful board, With regard to the installation process, is there anything you would suggest that I keep an eye out for or ask/demand be done during the the installation----certain tests and procedures etc. The furnace's exhaust will be run up the flue that is currently used for the old system-- we have an electric water heater and the use of the old flue seems to be the best way to exhaust the furnace. Any tips for a concerned home owner about what to watch for during the installation would be greatly appreciated. I otherwise intend to get out of the installers way and let them do their jobs. Thanks Ron

HERE IS THE EQUIPMENT MODEL NUMBERS

Furnace: 58MVB 100-20- two stage/variable speed
    Condensing unit: 24ana748--four ton infinity 17
    COIL: CNPVP48
    INFINITY CONTROL: SYSTXCCUIDO1-A

All new supply line etc. Any comments would be appreciated House is located in washington dc, and built in the 1930 with little insulation other than storm windows and blown in insulation in the attic. The house has a basement and two living levels and an attic which is not used and is closed off. As=lso 10 year parts and labor policy. It appoximately 2800 feet of living space combined. thanks for your comments

Post Likes
    Ron,

If you have reasonable electric rates, I would change 4 ton Infinity AC to the comparable heat pump model.

And I thought all condensing gas furnaces-90+ AFUE=had to have waste gas vented through outside wall. I would check with dealer on this point.

IMO

Post Likes

Use of flue for condensing furnace

Can anyone confirm that the exhaust can be run up an existing flue rather than through a wall .thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Did you look at Hybrid Heat?That's a Heat Pump instead of a cooling only condenser,so you heat with the heat pump in mild weather ,then gas when it's colder.The Infinity Hybrid is really a nice set up.

Post Likes
    The original vent can be used as a chase for the new vent but can not be used to convey flue gases from the condensing furnace.

Post Likes

clarification

To clarify-- you are saying that you need to have, in laymens terms, the pipe that is carrying the exhaust sized to the height of the top of the flu?

Post Likes

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ron3637 View Post
    To clarify-- you are saying that you need to have, in laymens terms, the pipe that is carrying the exhaust sized to the height of the top of the flu?
    The new pvc pipes comming off of your new furnace can be run "inside" of your old original flue pipe or chimney and terminated outside of the house.

Post Likes
    Thank you

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in