Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    4

    Trane Troubleshooting

    I've got a Trane varispeed airhandler with electric heat. Normal operation EXCEPT.... Heat will not come on unless fan is in on position.

    Unit was smoked up in a fire but no water or heat damage.
    Disassembled and r&r'd all insulation. Unit sat outside but undercover for 4 months. Possible moisture/ high humidity to board.

    1 green LED appears to flashing a code
    2 red LED intermintant on different cycles.

    Any Trane techs out there care to venture a guess before I change the module? Thanks.
    Ray

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    154
    Do ya have a heatpump also? Place t-stat in heat mode, fan in auto, post dignostic fault code. Number of red/green lights flashing in this mode only.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Boats234 View Post
    I've got a Trane varispeed airhandler with electric heat. Normal operation EXCEPT.... Heat will not come on unless fan is in on position.

    Unit was smoked up in a fire but no water or heat damage.
    Disassembled and r&r'd all insulation. Unit sat outside but undercover for 4 months. Possible moisture/ high humidity to board.

    1 green LED appears to flashing a code
    2 red LED intermintant on different cycles.

    Any Trane techs out there care to venture a guess before I change the module? Thanks.
    Ray
    Is your t-stat set up for electric heat or gas heat? My guess would be set up for gas, call your contractor, if it was a DIY install call A contractor.
    You can't fix stupid

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    in my lumpy chair
    Posts
    1,947
    im sure that theres a professional tech in your area that is close to being layed off that would be happy to service this unit

    no DIYers here call a contractor for service
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    4
    Kelly
    No heat pump.
    4/5 wire T-Stat.
    Call for heat- fan in auto
    Green flashes---very dim.. no dicernable code. To me anyway.
    No heat--no fan

    Put fan in "on" posi. normal operation. Heat comes on.
    Not much to the unit outside of the module. Don't see how any limits would cause this.


    Only paperwork I have on this lists the green LED as a CFM selection...no trouble codes. I'm unfamilier (obviously) with any Tranes.
    Thanks
    Ray

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    Is your t-stat set up for electric heat or gas heat? My guess would be set up for gas, call your contractor, if it was a DIY install call A contractor.
    Here you go again.
    You can't fix stupid

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    The problem is with your thermostat.
    The thermostat has to call for the fan when it calls for heat.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    in my lumpy chair
    Posts
    1,947
    Quote Originally Posted by lolson View Post
    im sure that theres a professional tech in your area that is close to being layed off that would be happy to service this unit

    no DIYers here call a contractor for service
    theres a techs family thats going hungry in your area. give them a call
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    4
    cmajerus/Lolson,
    You girls are vicious when you smell ignorance.
    Guilty as charged for the trouble codes for a Trane.

    As for my background, I very seldom perform outside work. Usually just for my commercial tenants. Hozi's, manitowoc and anything hobart. Lincoln and MM's conveyors on the elec. end. I also have 11 residential tenants that I maintain. I have a commercial contractors Lic. a Occ. Lic. and a Universal EPA. Does that make me a pro?? Not Hardly I Realize. I kind of like the DIY'er handle.

    Mark B. None of my Stats close Rh to G when I call for heat--if only it could be that easy--- Might need one of Majerus's special ones

    If anyone can be helpfull I'd apprciate it..... if not - I got thick skin
    Thanks
    Ray

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Boats234 View Post
    Kelly
    No heat pump.
    4/5 wire T-Stat.
    Call for heat- fan in auto
    Green flashes---very dim.. no dicernable code. To me anyway.
    No heat--no fan

    Put fan in "on" posi. normal operation. Heat comes on.
    Not much to the unit outside of the module. Don't see how any limits would cause this.


    Only paperwork I have on this lists the green LED as a CFM selection...no trouble codes. I'm unfamilier (obviously) with any Tranes.
    Thanks
    Ray
    What t-stat is installed? Wondering if it's smoke damaged also? If not, module + moisture/humidity as stated in your first post could = new module.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by Boats234 View Post
    Mark B. None of my Stats close Rh to G when I call for heat--if only it could be that easy--- Might need one of Majerus's special ones

    If anyone can be helpfull I'd apprciate it..... if not - I got thick skin
    Thanks
    Ray
    I was being helpful, I told you exactly what was wrong.
    cmajerus also pointed you in the right direction twice...

    Trane electric air handlers require the thermostat to call W and G at the same time on a call for heat, been that way since the old GE days.
    That is why the heat actually works when you switch the fan to "on" when the thermostat is calling for heat. On the variable speed air handler, it generally will use a higher airflow setting for heat than the normal continuous fan, but G still has to get power before the unit will go into the heating mode.

    Most digital thermostats have the option for the thermostat to call for the fan in the heat mode, either via a jumper, switch, or setup option in the thermostat.
    Some mechanical thermostats are set up for it already, or can be converted to it by moving a wire in the thermostat.

    FYI: The board in the air handler doesn't give fault codes.
    Last edited by mark beiser; 11-06-2007 at 02:51 AM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    2,677
    There ya go, I was telling ya the answer without breaking site rules
    Plus you didn't say you did maintenance either did you. Now you made Mark ride the thin line of DIY help, So go get yourself the proper t-stat
    You can't fix stupid

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    South Louisiana
    Posts
    4
    I told ya all I had thick skin.... My appologies Mark and Cmajerus. Yes I'm sure this will fix the problem.

    I went and measured Rh-G on 2 T-stats before I replied to Mark. On a digital honeywell and an old F87. I found the jumper on the digital but not on the mechanical. Obviously can't jump W to G direct or would call for heat in fan 'on posi'. Doesn't really matter-- I'm not using the mechanical anyway.

    Most of my units are gas and the 2 elec. units I have (york) do not require this jumper. Neither did the Goodman 10T rooftop package unit that I changed out this summer.

    Thanks again fellas for the education--- I even went to a Ruud mini school a few years back and didn't pick this up.

    Feeling sheepish (but smarter) on the bayou.
    Ray

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event