Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    The reason I am into gyrocopters is... it is a cheap way to fly. One can get one for $5-6-7K... work on it themselves... and have a ball flying it.

Be SURE to get adequate flight instruction... they are quirky to fly and easy to ball-up if one does not get adequate instruction.

Here is a link to the annual 'fly-in' in Florida:

www.bensondays.us.com

Lots of cool flying, and lots of really great folks!
    I gave up on it when I realized how hard it was to find an instructor within driving range. I wish they were more popular. Airplanes are super easy, but I'd never try to fly an autogyro without lessons... it would probably end like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9tALj1io0U

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    There is insurance for skydivers.... bodily injury...critical injury......property damage.......lol

Obamacare might not cover it.....but there are people who will sell you a policy....

You know.... and Im not going to escalate this any further...... but GA seems to me to be a lot like Moe Berg...... with all his exploits and such..

hmmmmmmm
    Life is to be enjoyed Corny... Life is not measured in years, rather experiences.

If you get 5-10 more years than I do... yet it is spent worrying about tomorrow... Well IMO I won...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by 626Pilot View Post
    I gave up on it when I realized how hard it was to find an instructor within driving range. I wish they were more popular. Airplanes are super easy, but I'd never try to fly an autogyro without lessons... it would probably end like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9tALj1io0U
    Yeah, have seen that video. IMO that guy was WAAAY too green to be trying to solo. He did not have the feel of the stick yet... what happened was understandable... yet tragic. Balling up a rotor-craft is easy if one does not know how to fly one.

I was a FW pilot before going to gyro's. I figure it would cost in the $7-8K range to own a Cessna 172, hangered, before even flying it. I do not have that much $$$ in my gyro, and 8 of us share a $225/mos hanger.

My gyro has a Subaru EA-81 engine, burns about 3.5GPH of auto-gas (I buy pure auto--non/ethanol--gas) going 65-70 MPH... which is plenty fast when you are open in the air.

Yeah, instruction is not easy to get... however one can do it... One has to dedicate to learning to fly. Once one gets the feel of the stick in their hand... they will not forget it.

Here is the site of the local gyro club I belong to:

http://peachstaterotorcraft.org/index.shtml

Lots of pictures and video's there to enjoy...

My gyro is not featured there... however look for Trell's Dominator... mine is similar.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

whats that old saying

"If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage, it's a helicopter and therefore inherently unsafe"

or something like that

This my ONE small air craft story: which happened back in '82

I got a friend who has a Piper Seneca Twin, I almost got us shot down while flying it back from Boston.

he got the plane in the air and let me take the yoke over Lee Massachusetts. We cleared Albany air space, contacted Syracuse (somewhere just pass Albany) and the first thing the controller asked?

Syracuse air: 018 please Ident

My Friend: 018, Ident <pushes a button on the dash>

SA: 018....who's flying the plane

MF: <very tentatively> uuuuum, Syracuse air this is 018.....a friend of mine, why?

SA: 018, you're north of your vector by about 25 miles, please turn left, descend to 5000 feet execute immediately.... you are headed for Griffith AFB, repeat, execute immediately

MF: <yells at me> RELEASE THE YOKE

ME: WTF? <the plane goes into a hard left turn and dives to 4800feet and comes back up to 5000, I think we were at 7500'> whats going on?

MF: what the heck "bug" where you watching (IFR on the dash)

ME: That one <pointing at the dash>

MF: Jesus, ya freaking idiot, not "that" one, this one... you almost got us shot down, the AF doesn't like people invading there air space, if you crash there they will throw your burning remains in jail

He went on to explain the "issue" to me. I said "seriously, they would shoot us down" MF said, your damn right they will

SA: <with a slight smirk in his voice> uuum, 018 Please keep a better eye on you co-pilot

MF: 018, uuum Rodger that, I think we don't have to worry about that anymore

SA: <now the controller has a chuckle in his voice> 018, thank you Please switch and answer Rochester air .....blah,blah,blah Have a nice day

Picky little B
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Yeah, Military does not like their airspace messed with... for good reason.

When fighter pilots are doing their 'Top Gun' thing... smashing into a small aircraft will ruin everyone's day. Note the fighter joc probably will make it back to base, crippled, land, and walk away... the Cessna or Piper... will definitely crash and burn.

One of the fly-in's I attended last fall was at Wrens field, SW of Augusta. There is a military base close by... we ONLY fly patterns off one side of the runway.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I used to do a lot of flying around March ARB, which is "next to" an airport that does a lot of parachuting activity. It was always fascinating to watch an enormous C130 gliding through the air, big as a building. It felt like serious business to be vectored around the area. Didn't see too many parachutists, as the controllers would always steer me well clear, but I always used extra caution around there. My airplane was a little two-seater, best suited for low-and-slow. I did a lot of that. The one thing I didn't like about it was getting beat up by the turbulence. It's just not fun when you wonder if you'll step out of the airplane an inch shorter. I understand rotorcraft don't have much of an issue with turbulence.

Way cool....shot in HD too!
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by 626Pilot View Post
    I used to do a lot of flying around March ARB, which is "next to" an airport that does a lot of parachuting activity. It was always fascinating to watch an enormous C130 gliding through the air, big as a building. It felt like serious business to be vectored around the area. Didn't see too many parachutists, as the controllers would always steer me well clear, but I always used extra caution around there. My airplane was a little two-seater, best suited for low-and-slow. I did a lot of that. The one thing I didn't like about it was getting beat up by the turbulence. It's just not fun when you wonder if you'll step out of the airplane an inch shorter. I understand rotorcraft don't have much of an issue with turbulence.
    IMO that statement is a double edged sword... While a rotorcraft (powered or gyro) has a 'round wing' so to say, and are less sensitive to cross-winds and gusts... Take-offs, landings, and ground handling is where one gets their rotors balled up.

With a gyro... best thing to do is have the rotor not turning until you are ready for your take-off role... then wind it up and get airborne.
    Most of the accidents (even pro's) happen on landing and a gust gets under the rotors and causes flap... which jambs one rotor into the tail or the ground.

Training, training, and more training... And did I say training...
    Once one understands and has the feel of the stick in their hand... it all changes. Until then... well caution is an understatement.

Still, IMO, gyrocopters are the cheapest way to be able to fly as a hobby. There is something about the wind in your face and the ground waaaaay below... that is just addictive.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12