Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Y R US motel units so bad and caribbean so good?

I have travelled a little in the Caribbean- Jamaica, grenada, st vincent , mexico , dominican republic etc and all the AC units - like on this trip in the DR, are all very quiet- have 4 fan speeds, - directional air vents, digital temp setting by degree, louvers that also move back andd forth by themselves- with a remote control, .
    The Ac units in our USA hotels are all really loud, one speed fan usually no louver control.
    What causes this??
    Last week in the poor Dominican republic they has Klimeaire (who makes those?) room units, with suitcase size condensers on the hotel roof . Nice units.
    who designs and specs "our" USA noisy dumb units!!!??

what is the room rate in the carribean vs. the super 8 that i stay in? i imagine that might have a wee bit to do with it.

good luck.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

Quote Originally Posted by waine View Post
    I have travelled a little in the Caribbean- Jamaica, grenada, st vincent , mexico , dominican republic etc and all the AC units - like on this trip in the DR, are all very quiet- have 4 fan speeds, - directional air vents, digital temp setting by degree, louvers that also move back andd forth by themselves- with a remote control, .
    The Ac units in our USA hotels are all really loud, one speed fan usually no louver control.
    What causes this??
    Last week in the poor Dominican republic they has Klimeaire (who makes those?) room units, with suitcase size condensers on the hotel roof . Nice units.
    who designs and specs "our" USA noisy dumb units!!!??

YOU .... Are EDWARDH !!!!

busted ....

Room rates

Actually the room rates in the US are more- the units in Marriotts etc are noisy.

I stayed in a Fairfield last month. POS Amana PTAC died the 2nd day there. They moved us next door. Another one. It worked but was so noisy I had to shut it down after the room cooled off so I could sleep. These places wanna get every nickel they can out of the stuff.

Here's a couple shots from Nashville Days Inn I stayed at for Comfortech a few years ago. First room had new Amana, worked great but too far from the wireless antenna to use the laptop.

Moved closer in, got this piece of scrap iron

which didn't cool any better than it looked

Moved a 3rd time. Got this newest Carrier. They ain't the quietest things but it worked...once I washed the filters

Now I know who has been taking these ptac's apart. Do you also
    remove the water saver disc from the shower heads???

Quote Originally Posted by edward301 View Post
    Now I know who has been taking these ptac's apart. Do you also
    remove the water saver disc from the shower heads???
    lol

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

must be the caribbean designers
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Or just the cheap corp. America!

Now this is funny...........really now guys, fess up, how many of us have taken the filters and cover off a hotel unit...........lolololol

First full time job after high school was at a Marriott hotel, in-house facilities crew. First few weeks on the job were spent pushing PTAC's around from guest room to repair shop to storage closet to guest room...that was the brutal summer of 1980. Back then they were noisy POS Fedders and Nesbitt units...not much has changed or improved in the U.S. hotel PTAC department in almost thirty years!

When I was a kid I remember on family road trips staying in the old Rodeway or Ramada Inns that had chilled water loops with fan coils in each room. They were quiet...and boy could they cool the room good. No compressor with loose mounting springs or bad valves banging on and off all night long, either. Temperature control consisted mainly of a three position switch on the wall for fan speeds...fancier places included a line voltage Honeywell t-stat.

Quote Originally Posted by slimwoodie View Post
    YOU .... Are EDWARDH !!!!

busted ....

Wel ...

Didja ... copy this post from JLC ....?????

or ...

Are ya EdwardH ..??

All places I have stayed in the Bahamas had fan coil units with chilled water going through them. Even the mechanical rooms were quiet. I know one place I stayed had two japanese made Absorbtion machines that were partially visable from our room. Those things run so quiet too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast