No Heat questions before buying new heatpump/gas furnace

Here's the short of it. I live in the Seattle area, 3300 sq. ft. two level house built in 1983. Need to replace natural gas furnace. I currently have no heat. I want to move to heat pump/gas furnace combo plus EAC. I have six bids. They all very by a few hundred dollars. Looking at Carrier, Trane, American Standard and Coleman. Only one salesman went into my house and took measurements. He recommended a 4 ton heat pump. The other bids are 3. 5or 4. A neighbor says I need a 5 ton. I'm operating in foreign territory here so would welcome any comments before making this kind of investment. Also, I know installation is key, but how do you evaluate that ahead of time? Another neighbor says Trane units don't do well in Seattle rain, i.e. some kind of problem with their covers and they don't drain well. Comments and suggestions welcome. I'm making do w/ a gas fireplace but I have to get on this. Thanks

Only consider the one who took measurements.

The other contractors are just guessing.

Is a vent count enough? That's what most asked. One came in and did alot of measuring. For this kind of money I want to make sure I get the right size system.

What size did the guy that measured come up with.

If you aren't sure any did a full calc. You can click on the HVAC CALC tab, pay the 50 dollar fee, and do your own. Then eliminate any that are to far out of line from that.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by coldbones View Post
    Is a vent count enough? That's what most asked. One came in and did alot of measuring. For this kind of money I want to make sure I get the right size system.
    You'll see many of the pros here tell you that the installer matters more than the equipment. Personally, I would take it a step further - it's the installer's attention to detail that can make a real difference.

So, some of them just counted registers. One took the time to look at the details of your house and come up with a sizing based on the ACCA guidelines vs using rules of dumb.

Did any of them measure your ductwork (trunk lines, not registers) to see what kind of airflow can be handled without causing excessive noise?

Unless your neighbors are HVAC experts, their opinions are just that.

Speaking of HVAC experts - I'm not one. So my opinions are also just that.

Navy widow that knows enough to know I don't, so I appreciate your knowledge. Where would the trunk lines be? Is it the sheetmetal I see running the lenght of my garage that connects w/ the furnace? I'm thinking no one measured ductwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
    You'll see many of the pros here tell you that the installer matters more than the equipment. Personally, I would take it a step further - it's the installer's attention to detail that can make a real difference.

So, some of them just counted registers. One took the time to look at the details of your house and come up with a sizing based on the ACCA guidelines vs using rules of dumb.

Did any of them measure your ductwork (trunk lines, not registers) to see what kind of airflow can be handled without causing excessive noise?

Unless your neighbors are HVAC experts, their opinions are just that.

Speaking of HVAC experts - I'm not one. So my opinions are also just that.

Quote Originally Posted by coldbones View Post
    Navy widow that knows enough to know I don't, so I appreciate your knowledge. Where would the trunk lines be? Is it the sheetmetal I see running the lenght of my garage that connects w/ the furnace? I'm thinking no one measured ductwork.
    Hey coldbones. Shoot me an email. josh at mountain dash mechanical dot com. I am in the Seattle area and can make sense of things for you. I have done many dual fuel installs in the area. Here's one I posted on here.

http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthr...ttle+dual+fuel