Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Trane HVAC system, installation seems incorrect.

HVAC Equipment:
    Trane
    TUH2B060A9V3VA 95% gas furnance, 2-stage.
    4TTX4036A1000A Condensor, 15 SEER, single stage, 3/8 x 7/8 x 40' lineset
    Honeywell TCONT802 2 stage Thermostat

Issue:
    This Trane system was installed a couple days ago. I don't believe they wired the thermostat correctly. I peeked at its service settings, and the thermostat was configured for 2-stage heat (code 0170=7). But they wired it for 1-stage heat instead (thermostat's W2 wire is not installed).

The Furnace's controller board is strapped for 10-minute timer 2-stage operation. So, instead of using the intelligence of the thermostat, they are relying on the furnaces fixed timer instead.

I also noticed that they had the thermostat stage-1 and stage-2 heat setup as a <90% furnace (code 0240=5 & 0250=5). I believe that these should be changed to code 3 (>90% efficiency furnace). Is that the right thing to do?

So, in case there is a Trane installer on the forum, can you advise me on why they would have set up the furnace as summarized here? Would I be better off to rewire the thermostat so that it controlled the second stage rather than the fixed timer method?

Did you ask the installer these questions? If not call and ask. My preference is to let the stat control the staging. He may have a reason he set it up this way. Rewiring yourself may cause issues with warranty service if ever needed.
    Climate Control Solutions for your Home or Office

Serving Northeast Philadelphia and Surrounding Areas

I belive your system will be fine like this, because the w2 is high fire and its not wire in it will go from low fire startup and will ramp up into high fire via. the contol board a min or so after startup. w2 not wired at t-stat will keep you from going directly to high fire.
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by erc tech View Post
    I believe your system will be fine like this, because the w2 is high fire and its not wire in it will go from low fire startup and will ramp up into high fire via. the control board a min or so after startup. w2 not wired at t-stat will keep you from going directly to high fire.
    with trane it is 10 minutes unless the board is set to a different dipswitch setting. Basically they set up the tstat for 2 stage and need to run the wire or change settings to 1 stage, so have them back to wire the stat and change settings to 3, make sure you have them come back sounds like they need the education, or they will continue to set up systems wrong for people less knowledgeable than yourself.
    You can't fix stupid

You might not have enoguh wires at the stat for them to use the stat for 2 stage control.
    If this is the case they shold have informed you. And then got you a price to run a new stat wire.

Call your contractor back and ask him about this.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Thanks for all the responses.

You might not have enough wires at the stat for them to use the stat for 2 stage control. If this is the case they should have informed you. And then got you a price to run a new stat wire.
    There are two spare wires in the control cable (BRN & ORG).

Did you ask the installer these questions? If not call and ask. My preference is to let the stat control the staging. He may have a reason he set it up this way.
    I do not have confidence in the installer. I got the feeling that this part of the installation was a mystery to him. Frankly, he had trouble with much simpler questions. Although I suspect that I will get the run around, I will contact their office about this later this week.
    Last edited by thomasb134; 11-04-2007 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasb134 View Post

I do not have confidence in the installer. I got the feeling that this part of the installation was a mystery to him. Frankly, he had trouble with much simpler questions. Although I suspect that I will get the run around, I will contact their office about this later this week.
    Thomas, Please don't think I'm picking on you, but why did you buy your system from someone that you feel this way about?
    One of my jobs is to sell systems like this and I've had to wonder many, many times why people choose to buy from contractors they don't feel know what they're doing.
    My answer to your question is that it's not set up the way that we do it and if it were mine I would install it like you were thinking, letting the thermostat make the switch to high stage. One of the reasons to have a 2-stage system is to let it operate most of the time on low stage to make the unit quieter and the heat more even throughout your home.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

Thomas, Please don't think I'm picking on you, but why did you buy your system from someone that you feel this way about?
    The salesman did a very nice job. I had four quotes from vendors (3 Amana, 1 Trane), all close together in equipment features and price. I picked the Trane vendor because the salesman claimed they did world class installations using highly trained field techs. He had a photo portfolio with pictures of their work, and it all looked very nice.

I'm not saying they are dead wood. I just don't have faith that they understand how to install the high end 2-stage tstat that was installed.

And for them to get a call from a picky customer, that claims he knows how to do it better than them, will surely end up being a call I wish I never made. It's not the first time I have run into this situation, and so I have first hand experince on the reaction I will get. So, I tend to just resolve these sort of things on my own and not look back.

15 SEER? Dont think so.....I do believe thats a 14 SEER at its best and you may have only a 13+ Lets see a coil model number....

The salesman did a very nice job. I had four quotes from vendors (3 Amana, 1 Trane), all close together in equipment features and price. I picked the Trane vendor because the salesman claimed they did world class installations using highly trained field techs. He had a photo portfolio with pictures of their work, and it all looked very nice.

I'm not saying they are dead wood. I just don't have faith that they understand how to install the high end 2-stage tstat that was installed.

And for them to get a call from a picky customer, that claims he knows how to do it better than them, will surely end up being a call I wish I never made. It's not the first time I have run into this situation, and so I have first hand experince on the reaction I will get. So, I tend to just resolve these sort of things on my own and not look back.
    Well, you picked the installation contractor, you have 1 year of warranty with him so, I would suggest you call and get your complaints directed to the service department or owner of company.

And if you try and re-wire the system without proper supervision, if it were me; I would VOID YOUR Warranty. You are not an HVAC licensed pro, so take a hint and leave it alone or your warranty could be effected.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

15 SEER? Dont think so.....I do believe thats a 14 SEER at its best and you may have only a 13+ Lets see a coil model number....
    It's a 14 SEER rated condensor (XL14i). The salesman said it is up to 15 SEER when used with the XV95 variable speed furnance. From the data sheet, the coil is a ADP #65515100. The contract says it is a HD19636. That is the only info I have.

if it were me; I would VOID YOUR Warranty. You are not an HVAC licensed pro, so take a hint and leave it alone or your warranty could be effected.
    I will contact the installing firm.

It's a 14 SEER rated condensor (XL14i). The salesman said it is up to 15 SEER when used with the XV95 variable speed furnance. From the data sheet, the coil is a ADP #65515100. The contract says it is a HD19636. That is the only info I have.

I could not find that exact match on ARI's directory, but the closest match up only gives you a 13.5 SEER. If your system actually did list at 15 SEER you could have possibly been able to get a tax credit this year.
    I'm not knocking anyone, but the thermostat you have really is not that hard to install correctly, call and ask for the service manager or owner, someone there should know how to set it up.
    If they can't or won't take care of it, call Trane in Tyler, TX. They'll have someone look at it for you.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

Thanks for the information. The salesman said the 95%+ furnace will earn me a $300 tax credit this year. He mentioned that the high end A/C would push the tax credit much higher, but the incremental system cost was beyond my stretched budget.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast