Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

If it was your home and money...

HI, I had to register after reading all the threads on Goodman products...
    I was informed on Wednesday that my current 21 year old furnace has a crack in the HX. No detectable levels of CO in the house, but I want to replace the whole, aging, system. I was given a very lucrative bid on a complete Goodman system and 1 from a Trane contractor. Given the Trane is significantly higher for a comparable system, I'm leaning towards the Goodman given the fact that for the difference in cost, I can damn near buy a second Goodman if the first one fails !!! My concern is really with the reliability of the Goodman. I am an over the road driver in the winter and my wife and son are here by themselves during the week. I DON'T want to be worrying about the furnace quiting when I'm gone. The cost is and isn't an issue. No we don't want to throw money out the window, but I would rather spend a little more for piece of mind and long term reliability.
    The 2 units we are comparing so far are: Goodman model GMV95 and TraneTUH2B080A9V3. Both are 95% efficient with 2 stage burners and the ecm, variable speed blower. Very comparable units. Like I said, the price difference is stagering !! Of these two, like the thread title says, which would you chose or is there another comparable unit in the price range of a Goodman that I should be looking at ?? Sorry, but I'm not interested in the Bryant family of laminated secondary HX's. My belief is if they are pressed together, they can come apart.
    I am confidant the independant contractor recommending the Goodman is competent and will stand behind his install and any necessary repairs, I would just rather not worry/deal with repair/warranty issues right from the "git" as twilli would say....
    Please, no bashing.....I've read enough of that. I'm just looking for honest opinions and remember, this is going in "your" home for long term service.

THANKS....

Trane-------------------------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MN homeowner View Post
    I can damn near buy a second Goodman if the first one fails !!!

I'm just looking for honest opinions and remember, this is going in "your" home for long term service.

THANKS....
    A "Trane" can be installed poorly and give you problems...
    A "Goodman" can be installed properly and be problem free...

Get a third estimate... If it is too cheap... It is too cheap for a reason.
    You are not buying a refrigerator where they all install the same.
    IMHO
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

the question isn't Reliability ..

it's Longevity .....

ooohhh ..

i am a long time Trane guy ....2 million worth of product, at one contractor i work for ..

and i just bought a Gooman ...

'cause I wanted Cheap ...

Cool My House!

Please, no bashing.....I've read enough of that. I'm just looking for honest opinions and remember, this is going in "your" home for long term service.

THANKS.... TRANE is in my home and I closed the deal within my budget. No $ale$man gittin rich on my deal! Ask for all discounts available, rebates, discounts, referral incentives, discounts....If ya ask for a little, you'll probably get it. If not with that dealer, try another TRANE dealer, most will be able to earn YOUR business! Enjoy your new Comfort Sytem! P.S. piece of mind is a Great investment.."It's Hard To Stop A TRANE"

Goodman.

Here is Goodman's warranty and why I would choose them.
    • Lifetime Limited Compressor Warranty
    • Lifetime Limited Heat Exchanger Warranty
    • 10-Year Parts Limited Warranty
    • 10-Year Unit Replacement Limited Warranty
    "With a GoodCare Extended Service Agreement, you’ll have your choice of 5-years, 10-years, or even up to 99-years of worry-free comfort without the unexpected cost of replacement parts or labor expenses should your Goodman equipment require service. If a repair is needed, an Authorized GoodCare Dealer will respond promptly and make repairs with quality Goodman parts."

In the long run you achieve the same results (as long as you have a good contractor) and you save money the long term warranty is huge plus.

The Trane guy above even bought Goodman ROFL....different story though.

I cannot give you any real feed back on the NEW TRANE heater because NO ONE has had any through a winter yet around here.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

i agree with the statement you need another estimate
    although there is nothing wrong with Goodman equipment, there seems to be an overwhelming amount of hacks that install them

make sure your installing company knows what they are doing are they doing a heat loss calc? do they do combustion testing? will they even set the gas pressure? (good chance it will be way too high out of the box) lots of hacks will stand behind the product and change parts under warranty but that speaks nothing of reliability, as far as my house and my money.... i have a goodman in my home and so do my parents, and many of my best friends, and my last 2 flip houses, and the list can go on and on but none of them have had any trouble
    but then again they all had a great installer

I'm not an installer but I just had a Everrest A/C and furnace installed{It's a goodman company} And they have a good warranty. The company who installed them gave me 10 year labor to go with the 10 warranty. I think thats a good deal. Like I've said before I've used this company a few times in the past and I don't think they would have pointed me the wrong way. Thats my 2 cents. Good luck.

Mark.

Well, I've been sitting back waiting for all the constructive opinions, but I'm a little dissmayed........ 218 views and only 9 replies. I have to say that at this point I am leaning towards the Goodman, since most of the replys are on the plus side for them.
    As for a third bid, the Rheem rep couldn't get here last week and I'll be on the road this next week, so I won't be here for him.

As implied above, if you have a good contractor install either one of those furnaces, you should be happy with either one. I've heard good and bad about Goodman products, but I've heard good things about that furnace specifically. I'm a Trane fan, but that Goodman should be fine if you have a budget limited to the price of the Goodman. If it was my home, I think I'd want the Trane (even though I have a heat pump system myself); their products are proven to be reliable and durable (for the most part). I'm not paying the bill, though.

It's sport of a weighted question. The equipment is less important than the installer. It's stated lots of times on here.....The best equipment installed by a hack won't be as good as the worst equipment installed by a high quality professional.

They all pass the same type standards it's more important to figure out what you want specifically in your equipment and then find a dealer that you are comfortable with and you feel knows what he is doing or vice versa.....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast