Thread: Need help with Old Janitrol gas furnace

Post Likes

Need help with Old Janitrol gas furnace

I don't know much about my current furnace except for it is a Janitrol. I looked inside one of the metal covers on it and found the following info:

Janitrol Conditioner Gas Fired
    SIZE: FVS 140-85 TYPE A
    Input BTU/hr: 140,000
    Bonnet Capacity: 112,000.

How old would you say this heater is, and how efficient would you say it is capable of being? Also, there are a couple controls in this cover that I know need adjusting. The adjustment box is made by Penn, and has two knobs. One knob is for Limit Control which has a setting of 50-250, and the other knob is Fan Control which also has a setting of 50-250. Can anyone give me some info on this furnace? I know it is old, but I am wondering how old, and how efficient. Also I need to adjust those dials properly if someone could please advise me how they should be set. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Its an antique.

Time for replacement.

Those controls only need adjustment when they are installed. Or someone played with them.

Post Likes
    also make sure your home owners insurance is up to date
    It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, for we are in deep crap.

Post Likes
    How old is your car? Do you drive Yugo? The average furnace runs between 700 and 1,000 hours per year. So if your furnace is 20-years old, that one is all of that and more, you can equate that to a car that's been driven at 30 MPH X hours per year = anywhere between 420,000 and 600,000 miles. So if your car has less miles on it than those two numbers, that give you some perspective on how long you should milk that old reliable in your basement. If you don't drive a Yugo, then you also don't want the cheapest furnace you can buy either. So do yourself a huge favor, get a new, efficient furnace before something really bad happens. It's long since worn out. Just because the fire lights doesn't mean it's safe to operate. Efficiency? Likely 60% range.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    call a pro for a replacement, an energy efficient unit will pay for it self in the long run
    I dont warranty Tinkeritus

Post Likes
    Thanks guys. I figured it was old, and yes I know the controls were played with. I just don't know what they should be set at to be correct. I need to get through with this old furnace until tax return time, which is around February for me, then I plan on a new furnace and A/C. I would imagine I need all new ducts too, right? The ducts in my basement seem to go all over the place, and are huge too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darkman501 View Post
    Thanks guys. I figured it was old, and yes I know the controls were played with. I just don't know what they should be set at to be correct. I need to get through with this old furnace until tax return time, which is around February for me, then I plan on a new furnace and A/C. I would imagine I need all new ducts too, right? The ducts in my basement seem to go all over the place, and are huge too.

why not call a few companies and see what they offer for financing, here we could install your furnace next week and you wouldnt have to pay for it for a year,,, you should have your tax return by then and also have saved some money on the gas bill in the mean time

Post Likes

Hmm

Sounds you may have a stopped filter, dirty indoor ac coil, or a creaked heat exchanger and your looking at the fan cotrol as its the problem time to call a pro maybe they will save you some time money

Post Likes
    As dhvac said, many companies have SAC financing availiable. Make some calls.

We are not allowed to give DIY advise on this site.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in