Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lennox and Service Issues

I had a new G61MPV installed last fall. It ran great and seemed to do a good job.

This fall, we didn't start using heat until recently. The unit turned on and seemed to be doing fine. However, the last couple of mornings (Tstat set at 67, temp was 64 all mornings in question) it would rapidly turn on and off (on for about 30 seconds, off for about 30 seconds), while blowing some luke warm air. I turned off the heat at the Tstat, turned it back on later, and it seemed to start working properly. It did it again the next morning and I called for service.

The tech looked at the unit and suggested that the water was being pumped from the wrong side of the furnace (it was being pumped from the left, and not from the right where the PVC pipes exit the unit). This, he felt, was causing the problem. Of course, he just did PVC across the front of the cabinet to the right side (ugly). He also had to mod my filter access (again, ugly and hackish).

That being said, it has not done the rapid cycling in the morning (the last 2 mornings). However, it now has a weird high pitch whine to it (not loud, but different than before) and it is, on occasion, shutting off before hitting the set temp (note- the tstat is 2$ digital job they installed with the unit).

Couple ?s

1. Is it normal to run PVC right across the front of the cabinet like that? It looks bad, and would seem to block (or make very difficult) access to the bottom...?

2. Does excess water in the unit seem like the likely culprit?

3. Will the excess water damage any internal components over time (I'm worried that running it for a year with the pump on the wrong side has caused issues)?

4. If there are fault codes being displayed in the glass, how do I read them?

5. Should I call service again about it not reaching set temp on occasion (even though I can't really duplicate the problem)?

Thanks guys!!

Post some photos.
    "Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

here are a few, let me know if they are ok:

that is a lot crude
    the trap is required to be on the same side and the intake and exhaust for proper drainage of the unit

there is a kit avalable if the trap has to be on the opposit side
    he can oeder the required kit and put the trap back where it was and it will work fine

that unit needs to be serviced once a year
    flame senser, trap, and other things need checking

have then come back and do the job right

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    that is a lot crude
    the trap is required to be on the same side and the intake and exhaust for proper drainage of the unit

there is a kit avalable if the trap has to be on the opposit side
    he can oeder the required kit and put the trap back where it was and it will work fine

that unit needs to be serviced once a year
    flame senser, trap, and other things need checking

have then come back and do the job right

was he planning on leaving it like that...........

like tinknocker said there is a crossover kit that needs to be ordered and installed. we usually carry one on the install truck for when we need it. used one last week and when i ordered a replacement it was backordered.

maybe he's waiting for one to come in????????

There was no talk of crossover kit. This was the 'finished' product post 'fix'. Is that the proper terminology: crossover kit? Just need to make sure for when I talk to them again.

lennox calls it a "condensate trap relocation kit" .
    tell him the part # is 76m20

I don't know Lennox, but the drain is always on the right?

What is this kit suppose to be?

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    I don't know Lennox, but the drain is always on the right?

What is this kit suppose to be?

like i said with lennox the intake exhaust and trap are to be on the same side

when the trap has to be on the oposit side then you need the drain kit as t527 mentioned above

if kit is not installed the unit will not drain properly and will have nusience lockouts

Need to bump this up. We have service guy #2 at the house now. The heat totally shut off last night (in PA) and it wouldn't come back on (fan still worked though). I was getting a 3 2 blinking on the red LED when I checked it this morning...

Service guy 2 says that relocating the trap (done by service guy #1) was completely unneeded, he believes it can be on either side, doesn't matter (I didn't want to argue with him). He talked about too much condensate and needing to 'maybe' drill a hole in the exhaust PVC pipes to drain into the trap (I mean what is he talking about?). I've circled in the picture below where he thinks this might need to be done... Any thoughts before I go home for lunch to see what he's doing?

No No No. Do not let them start drilling holes in your vent. Have them get the proper crossover kit and do it right. It says in the installation manual that the condensate must come out the same side as the flue or the kit MUST be used. Can they not read?
    Its a good Life!

The condensate trap has to be on the same side as the exhaust, unless the 76M20 (alternate drain location kit) is used.

Well, here's #2's diagnosis: "Lo Press Switch error, Inducer full of water, added second drain to exhaust side"

Seems to be working for now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast