Question Opinions on Rheem v. Bryant

Looks like the experts are here, so, which is better, Rheem v. Bryant AND two stage v. fully modulated?

My Bryant central air and gas furnace (70&#37 are 17yrs old. The A/C is shot. I am replacing both and wanting to go "high efficiency". A dual fuel/hybrid is going to be to expensive, as I've found them to run at least $1,800 - $2,000 more than a 95%+, dual stage gas system. Trane is certainly one of the best, but to expensive. Carrier is also overpriced. So, I'm down to Bryant and Rheem.

Bryant Evolution model 355B 95%+, two stage w/variable speed blower matched with a model 598B two speed, 16 SEER AC with Bryant’s Evolution thermostat technology is one choice.

Rheems 95%+, fully modulated gas, variable speed blower and a 15 SEER AC with Rheems programmable thermostat.

I've read consumer reports comparing Rheem to Trane. Bryant seems to run about number four or five on the list when it comes to customer satisfaction/problems. I've also read the modulating system is far more efficient that the two state. However, opinions on these systems are like bellybuttons.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Cinciwinters; 11-02-2007 at 01:20 PM.

Remove your prices, before they get all over you. You really won't get to much help comparing manufactures as it all comes down to the installing contractor.

Thanks. Done.

Both quotes are from very reputable companies. That beign equal, I suspect one manufacturer has a better reputation than the other and there must be opinions as to whether a modulated system or a two stage system is better.

The Mod will offer a comfort nothing else can touch when used with the matching stat. 2 stage furnaces are nice but still can't do what this one can. Bryant's newest 3 stage when used with an Evolution control will come close.

Here's a chart comparing the Mod with a 2 stage and you can see how closely the Mod's output matches the heat loss of the house once it gets cold.

The 355c is a 3 stage 95% furnace with about a 30, 60, 95 split. I don't think Rheem's RGFD modulating furance makes 95% for the $150 tax credit.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The Mod will offer a comfort nothing else can touch when used with the matching stat. 2 stage furnaces are nice but still can't do what this one can. Bryant's newest 3 stage when used with an Evolution control will come close.

Here's a chart comparing the Mod with a 2 stage and you can see how closely the Mod's output matches the heat loss of the house once it gets cold.
    (emphasis added)

The chart shows the furnace's capability. However, ability to output at various levels doesn't necessarily equate to a perceived increase in comfort. Does Rheem publish anything that shows an actual increase in comfort?

Our local Rheem distributor is very aggressive. I'd certainly talk to them if there was something verifiably beneficial to the technology.

Not sure how you would log that. The idea that the furnace can vary to follow the needs of the house so closely is about the best I can think of. Comfort level varies by person. So I don't know how else you can illustrate what a furnace can do. As Doc said in another thread on this post, customer satisfaction with this furnace has been incredible. I've sold a LOT of 2 stage furnaces on 2 stage stats but never heard customers RAVE about a furnace til the Mod. I sent an installer to a dentists office where he had put one in the previous year. When he came back, minus 1 tooth, I asked if the Doc had mentioned the furnace. He said yea, the Doc never shut up about how well he liked it

The Mod is not 95% AFUE.

Carrier's newest is 40%, 65% and 100%, the same as the Mod does on conventional stats. Carrier uses logic (educated guessing ) to stage if you use a single stage stat. More control with a 2 stage stat and best control with an Evolution/Infinity stat.

What do these customers say in particular that they like so much? Is it just the nebulous perception of comfort? Granted, that's more than enough reason for a customer. However, I prefer to put a more scientific explanation as to why fine granularity in staging makes for happy customers. Perhaps it's as simple as longer run times equates to better homogenization of the home's air - that plus how quiet it ostensibly is.

Irascible wrote:
    What do these customers say in particular that they like so much?
    Speaking for myself (non-technically), my Rheem Mod just seems to disappear and yet the home is warm and toasty. ;^)

I actually still find myself checking to see if the furnace is working and every time the thermostat is at the same setting. If I check the register when the furnace is on there is usually only a gentle "puff" of warm air ... it seems to vary very little although it will blow somewhat harder when recovering from setback in the morning. Even then it's quiet and comfortable.

Compared to my older furnaces ,or those (especially single stage) of my neighbours, the others are definitely more noticeable - with strong blasts of hot air which can be more uncomfortable than the mods quiet and gentle warmth.

I'm not really really into furnaces but I'll certainly consider a new mod if I ever move again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord SW Ont View Post

I'm not really really into furnaces but I'll certainly consider a new mod if I ever move again.
    You say that and you dont know how right you are. We have seen many people who have had mods, move to a new home and before they even get the curtains hung are having a new furnace ripped out and another mod installed in its place.

Fact is you cannot impress on anyone the difference in comfort from a mod to a regular furnace, kind of like skydiving, I could tell you what a rush it is, but until you experience it, you dont understand. (Not that the furnace is a rush, but there is no way to describe something that is subjective AND takes you to a new level).