Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Are you sure?
    Please, no more games

If there's something you think I should know, just tell me already!

Hi dbb1,

I unfortunately don't have an answer to the issues you're seeing, but did notice in your threads which contractor you used.

Aside from the tstat issues, would you go with them again? Do you feel they've been responsive to your service needs post-install? They're one of the contractors I'm currently considering.

Thanks.

(edit: oops, meant to reply to most recent thread)
    Last edited by bkbroiler; 07-01-2008 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbroiler View Post
    Hi dbb1,

I unfortunately don't have an answer to the issues you're seeing, but did notice in your threads which contractor you used.

Aside from the tstat issues, would you go with them again? Do you feel they've been responsive to your service needs post-install? They're one of the contractors I'm currently considering.

Thanks.

(edit: oops, meant to reply to most recent thread)
    All things considered, yes, I'm happy with them. In fact I'd say I'm more happy with their post-install service than I was with the initial install. The issue with the initial install is that I was asking them to put in a more complex system with a more complex tstat than they were used to, and they were (in my opinion) a bit overconfident and not well educated on what they were installing.

That led to some issues with wiring -- but these same issues seem to cause confusion and disagreement even among the very experienced pros on these forums, so I don't blame my contractor much for that. Other than those wiring issues, I was impressed by their work quality, attention to detail, etc.

They've been very responsive and easy to work with post-install, including dealing with the wiring fixes, replacing the misbehaving tstat, etc. Their techs seem to have a lot of experience and are always professional.

The only big downside of this contractor is that if you want a lot of attention and hand-holding, you should look elsewhere. They'll put in what you ask, or tell you what they think you should put in, but they won't spend a lot of time discussing various options and relating them to your needs. They're more into experience than theory -- they really don't go in for things like heat load calculations, etc. And getting ahold of them on the phone is a pain in the #$@!^!, because their phone number is an answering service -- they always have to call you back.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by dbb1 View Post

The only big downside of this contractor is that if you want a lot of attention and hand-holding, you should look elsewhere. They'll put in what you ask, or tell you what they think you should put in, but they won't spend a lot of time discussing various options and relating them to your needs. They're more into experience than theory -- they really don't go in for things like heat load calculations, etc. And getting ahold of them on the phone is a pain in the #$@!^!, because their phone number is an answering service -- they always have to call you back.

Hope this helps.
    It does help, thank you. And your observation of their demeanor fits with my experience with them so far; they provided me with what seems to be a relatively fair, reasonable, well-designed proposal. I just didn't know that until I received several other bids to compare it to!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123