Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name?

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Name?
    Does it matter? If I'd gotten negative comments about his proposal here, I could understand wanting to know the name of the company, in case you know them and could say "Yeah, those guys are hacks". But everyone seems to give me the impression that my contractor knows what he's doing.

Are you just curious? I'm not trying to be cagey with you, I'm just surprised by the question -- I had assumed this forum was focused on the technical stuff, and that discussions of particular contractors was not the norm.

This would be so much simpler in a face-to-face or even telephone situation. On the internet, it can be so hard to read the 'body language', if you know what I mean.

I am just curious if you need advice or you are in good hands.

I am just curious if you need advice or you are in good hands.
    OK, I guess I can't see the harm. The company is Shanahan's Heating and Cooling. They seem to really know their stuff and they take a no-nonsense (rather than pushy sales) approach. One thing I really like is that my dealings have been with the owner, who also supervises the install. I hate it when you discuss a bunch of details with somebody only to have somebody else show up to do the job, with no knowledge of your prior conversations.

I have no doubt that he could answer all the technical questions I've asked here, but he's quite busy and I hesitate to waste his time satisfying my curiosity.

I'm sure all the professionals here on the forum are also busy and also don't like having their time wasted, but I figure you wouldn't be responding to posts like mine if you didn't have an interest in helping/educating people like me. In other words, you're volunteers. He, on the other hand, would probably feel obligated (because I'm the customer) to spend time answering my questions.

So I guess the answer is that I think I am in good hands, but it always makes me (as a buyer) feel better about my decisions and my purchase to have independent experts chime in.

Also, I have a strong interest in understanding all of the systems in my home -- even if I'm confident the job is going to be done right.

With the IAQ stat, you don't have to use the Comfort R feature of the unit. The stat will take care of air flow if the humidity starts to get high.
    This helps when the OD temps are higher and the humidity is low. The unit won't start at a low speed when its not needed. But will slow down if it is needed.

If your contractor says you need to line the chimney, he's probaly right. He saw it, we can't.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Confused

[QUOTE=beenthere;1668404]With the IAQ stat, you don't have to use the Comfort R feature of the unit. The stat will take care of air flow if the humidity starts to get high.
    This helps when the OD temps are higher and the humidity is low. The unit won't start at a low speed when its not needed. But will slow down if it is needed.

If your contractor says you need to line the chimney, he's probaly right. He saw it, we can't.[/QUOTE
    Last edited by second opinion; 11-06-2007 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    With the IAQ stat, you don't have to use the Comfort R feature of the unit. The stat will take care of air flow if the humidity starts to get high.
    I think I understand that. Are you also saying that one *should not* use Comfort-R in conjunction with the IAQ's airflow reduction, or are you just saying that it isn't necessary? Does Comfort-R provide some additional benefit because it (always) lets the coil cool down faster at startup?

Comfort r may keep the blower a little slower the first half minute then the IAQ will.

Most, if not all brands have a slow ramp up profile for their VS blowers, they just call it a different name.

When the outdoor ambient is high in a moderate humidity area. And the indoor humidity is low, you don't need the blower to ramp up slow every time it starts.
    The IAQ won't slow the blower down if the humidity is not high, so you get quicker temp response.

Its more a personal preference then a works better thing.
    Contractor locator map

I think he wanted you to explian in detail how the IAQ functions better than the 803 with his system.First stage, second stage etc.

He asked about blower control from what I read.

But, The IAQ brings on the second stage when it calculates that first stage is at 90% of its capacity. It has zero droop. So no temp rise before bringing in second stage weather in heating or cooling mode.
    With many other digitals the stat has to sense a temp rise or fall before going to second stage cooling or heating respectively.
    Contractor locator map

Smile

Your dealer was correct in recomending the Tcon 803 for your application and using Comfort R. You can use the Vision Pro IAQ with your equipment if it is set up properly.

Depending on what type of chimney you have you may not need a chimney liner.
    Did you choose a Tstat yet?

Did you choose a Tstat yet?
    Yes, the IAQ. After all, it's a superset of the 803's capabilities, so it could always be configured either way.

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by dbb1 View Post
    Yes, the IAQ. After all, it's a superset of the 803's capabilities, so it could always be configured either way.
    Are you sure?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast