modulation vs dual stage

So I need to replace my 17 year old coleman furnace. My longtime hvac man has recommended a tempstar 2 stage variable vs 90 with a 13 seer heat pump,75000 btu,with 3 ton heat pump. I want to be as fuel efficient as possible going forward into higher and higher fuel costs.
    Does it make any sense to consider a modulating furnace for this hybrid application. My guy is a tempstar man and they dont carry a modulating furnace as I understand it. Is using a modulating furnace on a hybrid system gilding the lily? Are the systems so new as to be especially problematic?
    If choosing a modulating furnace,is it best to go with a Rheem(longest track record) or a Carrier Infinity.
    Thanks,
    kydoc

kydoc

I take by your handle and picture that you live in Kentucky which has reasonable electric rates. Correct?

Generally speaking, I think the mod furnaces are better suited to areas/climates that have long harsh winters and where electric rates prohibit the economical use of heat pumps either standing alone or in a dual fuel system.

While I don't know much about Tempstar, I think you are on the right track as far as dual fuel. I would upgrade the heat pump model to one that has a minimum 14-15 SEER and 8.5-9 HSPF eff rating.

You will need at least some type of filter for IAQ and protection of blower motor.

I would want to know that dealer has experience with dual fuel applications.
    Good and properly sized HVAC, good install, and a good ductwork system and you should have a great system.

IMO

ky electric rates

I just called Duke energy and they say I am currently paying 7 cents per kw-hr. for electric in northern ky.
    THanks,
    kydoc

if you can afford it, for the best efficiency and comfort set-up go with dual fuel,

otherwise, i would recommend a heat pump for best efficiency!

For comfort over efficiency, go with the gas furnace!

Quote Originally Posted by kydoc View Post
    I just called Duke energy and they say I am currently paying 7 cents per kw-hr. for electric in northern ky.
    THanks,
    kydoc
    That's dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    That's dirt cheap.
    hydropower!