Thread: Replacing unit

Replacing unit

Hi: Could anyone help me with a few questions please?

First, I live in the middle of Florida, warm, humid environment. My current upstairs HVAC is a 10 SEER 1.5 ton 1997 trane split heatpump. The up stairs is about 600 to 650 SF. The current unit is leaking freon so I am probably going to replace it vice repair it. Currently the best price and deal looks to be a 1.5 ton Goodman 15 SEER heatpump with variable speed air handler and new thermostate (next best is a 13 SEER Payne - same stuff but about $70 difference - hope showing difference is not price violation of rules )

Questions:
    1. Do you like the Goodman 1.5 ton 15 SEER unit?
    2. Will I need to have them replace the line set? One person said the new unit needed larger freon lines between the outdoor and indoor unit. Is he correct and if so, what size do I need?

Thank you!

Alex the HomeOwner

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_homeOwner View Post
    Hi: Could anyone help me with a few questions please?

First, I live in the middle of Florida, warm, humid environment. My current upstairs HVAC is a 10 SEER 1.5 ton 1997 trane split heatpump. The up stairs is about 600 to 650 SF. The current unit is leaking freon so I am probably going to replace it vice repair it. Currently the best price and deal looks to be a 1.5 ton Goodman 15 SEER heatpump with variable speed air handler and new thermostate (next best is a 13 SEER Payne - same stuff but about $70 difference - hope showing difference is not price violation of rules )

Questions:
    1. Do you like the Goodman 1.5 ton 15 SEER unit?
    2. Will I need to have them replace the line set? One person said the new unit needed larger freon lines between the outdoor and indoor unit. Is he correct and if so, what size do I need?

Thank you!

Alex the HomeOwner
    1. Depends on who installs it. That really makes the difference.
    2. How do you know that it isn't the line set leaking? The installing contractor will be able to size it correctly, due to several factors the size could differ. There is no exact answer without all of the details. It sounds like you may try to do it yourself. I hope not!
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

1) I'll take a 15 seer Goodman over a 13seer Payne any day of the week, especially here in Fla. where you'll use a/c for 9-10 months of the yr.

2) If he's telling you it needs a larger lineset, it probably does. What size are your present lines?Alot here could answer this real quick. You'll need whatever size the install specs for the Goodman state.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Hi and thank you for replies.

ckone180:
    One contractor said upsize due to higher SEER another said no need. Both talking 15 SEER Goodman Freon 22 units. So who is right? Its about a 40 foot run (guessing). DITY? Not me. I change spark plugs (lawnmower), light bulbs, check breakers then call somebody that has a clue and some tools.

Line set may be problem but its in PVC so less likely. But if lines are not the problem do I still need to pay to replace?

smokin68 I was hoping some one could say line size - its dark but maybe I can measure tomorrow.

Thanks for replies...

Alex

Looks like it will need a 3/8 and 3/4.

http://www.goodmanmfg.com/Portals/0/pdf/SS-GSC14.pdf

BTW, I believe you'll need a txv(thermostatic expansion valve) instead of a piston to make a R-22 system 15seer, so make sure you ask. If not,it'll be 14 seer. Seer counts in Fla. I haven't seen a 15 seer r-22 piston system, not saying they don't exist.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    To actually get close to the SEER you are paying for the contractor must install it correctly,plus check your duct system to see that the new unit can deliver the correct air flow.

Over 50% of the duct systems in Florida are undersized.

Ask them if they can test the static pressure of your existing ducts,if they can't call someone else.

First of all goodman is crap and so is payne, if your going to replace the equipment go with rheem or trane, just because your getting a cheap price doesnt mean its a good product

Quote Originally Posted by elmlords1 View Post
    First of all Goodman is crap and so is Payne, if your going to replace the equipment go with Rheem or Trane, just because your getting a cheap price doesn't mean its a good product
    What standards do Rheem or Trane pass that Goodman or Payne doesn't?

First of all goodman is crap and so is payne, if your going to replace the equipment go with rheem or trane, just because your getting a cheap price doesnt mean its a good product
    You will be hard pressed to find a "Crap" unit, plenty of crap install's though!

Why? Are there any facts you have to support this claim or is it solely based off of your opinion?