Air filter choice for - infinity gas furnace

Hi
    I am installing an infinity 96 series gas furnace. What type of air filter would you recommend---- a standard 1 inch 3m filtrate set up, or a 4 inch filter--see no reason to go with an electric filter -no alergies etc. What do you think? Thanks Ron

I would go with the 4" media.... it comes with the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by novakht View Post
    I would go with the 4" media.... it comes with the unit.
    Agree, media filters are much better than 1" filters, they are more expensive but normally you replace them once or maximum twice a year, make sure it's a MERV 11 filter.
    What's another word for Thesaurus?
    - Steven Wright

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Ron3637,

3M filters are too restrictive after a couple of weeks in service,basd on iur experience.

The 4" pleated with a minimum of Merv 8 rating ,sized properly would be a much better choice,IMHO.

If you are replacing and old system,the duct system is often marginally sized and modifications are needed to add any "better" filter.If the new filter is too restrictive ,based on the duct system,without modifications air flow may fall below the required minimum and can damage the equipment.

If you get the Infinty Control,you'll actually be able to read the static(resistance of the duct system and A/C coil).

merv 11 vs 8

Would an 11 merv filter be OK --not too restrictive, I live in an old 1930s house in wasjinigton dc Thanks all for your responses. ron

There are 5" filters that suit return air grilles - Practical Pleat.
    www.filterfolks.com for specifications and more.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by FilterFolks View Post
    There are 5" filters that suit return air grilles - Practical Pleat.
    www.filterfolks.com for specifications and more.
    Wondering how long they'll let advertise here.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    Ron3637,

3M filters are too restrictive after a couple of weeks in service,basd on iur experience.

The 4" pleated with a minimum of Merv 8 rating ,sized properly would be a much better choice,IMHO.

If you are replacing and old system,the duct system is often marginally sized and modifications are needed to add any "better" filter.If the new filter is too restrictive ,based on the duct system,without modifications air flow may fall below the required minimum and can damage the equipment.

If you get the Infinty Control,you'll actually be able to read the static(resistance of the duct system and A/C coil).
    I like the point about the 3M filters, I have suspected that but never said anything about it. Looks like a way to get sales in the door to check the plenum and duct design; and speak with the customer about how to meet thier indoor air quality needs. In the mean time use a sturdy Merv 8 pleated.

Could you speak to the Infinity Control?
    John