Thread: confused!!!

confused!!!

This is probably a repeat question but I need some advice. We recently moved into a new to us house which was built in 93'. We have a Guardian gas furnace and matching A/C. My question is this I have noticed that with the furnace on the outside unit runs periodically and I have never had a system do this before. Is this normal or is there something wrong. Thanks in advance

Steve

Is it a furnace with A/C, or a duel fuel system.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I don't know, what the difference is. I thought it was just a regular furnace but now I'm wondering if it is not a heat pump because it Don't put out a lot of air through the vents but seems to run more often. I can't find any literature left by the previous homeowner on it which doesn't help much. It does have Aux. heat and Emergency heat is that a duel fuel system??

Based on your tstat you have a heat pump. If you just bought the place there is no better time to have a pro come out and perform a tune up, while there they can educate you on your particular system.

Quote Originally Posted by restowood View Post
    This is probably a repeat question but I need some advice. We recently moved into a new to us house which was built in 93'. We have a Guardian gas furnace and matching A/C. My question is this I have noticed that with the furnace on the outside unit runs periodically and I have never had a system do this before. Is this normal or is there something wrong. Thanks in advance

Steve

you would not want the furnace and the outside unit running at the same time

this could damage your system, as stated you should have your systen serviced

by a qualified hvac company

I called the original installer today. I learned alot about the system. It is a heat pump. I learned that it is a dual fuel system. I asked alot of questions about how the system works and the guy told me that the system had been serviced about 4 months ago. He explained to me that the outside unit wasn't running at the same time as the furnace instead the heat pump was using the outside system to operate. He mentioned that when it gets very cold that I should switch to the actual furnace side of it instead of the heat pump function. I understand his thinking on this. However I did forget to ask if my unit does it automatically, if not do I have to switch it over to Emergency heat in order to turn the actual furnace side?? Sorry for the lenghthiness of this post but I am excited to learn about this new system. Do most units switch back and forth automatically??

Yes they switch over to gas heat when the outside temp. drops below the balance point, whatever temperature that is, each house is different. I almost always set mine at 35-40 degs from a comfort stand point.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

So is the switch-over something that I can adjust once I find that balance point of where it is economical and comfortable to switch over? If so any advice on how to do it. Thanks for all the advice between you guys and the original installer I'm finally understanding how all this works

The original installer can tell you how its set up, and how you can adjust it. He knows what control system he installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    you would not want the furnace and the outside unit running at the same time, this could damage your system, as stated you should have your systen serviced, by a qualified hvac company.

i forgot to mention on some/most dual fuel sysytems, when heat pump goes into defrost the furnace will run

this will avoid cold air supply temps during defrost!