Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Furnace won't stop running

Had the heat on the other day and I get home in the afternoon, shut it off from thermostat and it won't quit running. Currently turning it off from breaker box. Any suggestions??? Was thinking the thermostat is bad

Chase it down and tackle it.

South/West of Quebec in the other part of Canada
    Darn old furnaces....They just keep going and going and going and going.
    It's Time To Be Nice To People

it always the thermostats fault.
    the poor stat catches all the blame all the time

somethings wrong - its the thermostats fault

hey honey there's no hot water and the bog is plugged

call a repair man dear - it must be the furnace thermostat!! make sure you tell him you think its the stats fault and ask him to install the one I picked up from homo's
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Twilli recommends Talking thermostat and it can tell you whats wrong

http://www.talkingthermostat.com/
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post

Just what I need... Somebody else nagging me to change the da**ed air filter

SMO0625... If it seems like you're not gathering a lot of sympathy here, read this link and all will be clear. When it comes down to the nuts and bolts of the equipment, such as why it won't shut off (heat or fan?) and there are a hundred different reasons on a thousand different furnaces, remember safety first and get a professional... and 99% of the time it's not the thermostat... but there is that 1% which gives hope...

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241
    Last edited by gruntly; 11-01-2007 at 01:30 AM.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Twilli used to be a thermostat

You could have a bad circuit board. It has happened before. Even with no signal to the green wire the fan will stay on.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post

Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Changing your thermostat when the furnace breaks is like changing your gas petal because the car wont run. Call the man Aunt Bee.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

is it the heat or the fan running! do you have a disconnect on the furnice?
    must be the the thurmostat set at a 45 on the wall. lol! I had the same prob not to long ago and it was the thermostate! It is alot cheaper to replace the t-stat verses the computer.......... does your temperature on the stat read the same as a thermometer? furnace does not know how to kick off if nothing tells it anything. that will be $1000 dollars good day sir! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by J-HITMAN View Post
    must be the the thurmostat set at a 45 on the wall. lol! I had the same prob not to long ago and it was the thermostate! It is alot cheaper to replace the t-stat verses the computer.......... does your temperature on the stat read the same as a thermometer? furnace does not know how to kick off if nothing tells it anything. that will be $1000 dollars good day sir! lol!

I think the problem could be with one of these.

(A) thurmostat
    (2) thermostate
    (C) t-stat
    (4) stat
    (E) something else
    (6) none of the above

Good day sir...

"Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

Quote Originally Posted by J-HITMAN View Post

Sounds like the wobbling shafts gone bad. Time for a new one.

If it sounds like we are making fun of your situation, that's a coincidence and we're sorry.

Call a pro.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast