Confused!!! Carrier

I got a price quote and load evaluation from a HVAC company. They did a thorough job examining both the air return system and ducting.

They had recommended the following:

Furnace: 58STA070-1-12
    Heat Pump: 25HCA330A003
    Evap Coil: CNPVP3617ACA

Several knowledgeable people here suggested upgrading to the Infinity 96 58MVP.

The installer and technician were both just out here today reviewing the job - starting tomorrow and I brought up the subject of upgrading to the 58MVP.

Now. These two guys don't really have a dog in the fight - as it were - here since they are not "selling", just installing for the heating contractor.

Both said that the Infinity is an excellent furnace and they could adapt it to the vent flue through the roof.

One said an interesting thing.

He said "You are going to be using a big heat pump, and since electricity is cheaper here then gas, the Infinity is going to be major overkill."

The house is a 70s ranch - 1,750 square foot, and pretty well insulated with new double pane vinyl windows and is ducted and properly set up for 1 zone. In the past the house heats up evenly with very few cold spots.

He said that if it were him - he would stay with the base model 58STA as it is basically a secondary heat source and the heat pump will be doing the vast majority of the work.

He also told me that what was recommended is well suited for the house and the climate conditions - as we don't get very many really cold days (weather below 32 degrees). As to noise difference, the installer said that since it is in the garage you won't hear the difference unless you are out in the garage.

The technician said "Of course we would be happy to make more money, but in your case, you really won't see any cost savings, and it's bigger then you need, so why spend it." He also said that with the recommended 58STA, they opted for the 3 ton blower size (?) which is a bit bigger then what is being replaced and it's a 70K unit.

Now, granted, I don't know much about HVAC - that's what I am depending on you folks for - the more voices the better. I don't want complete overkill. They both agree that with the slightly larger size heat pump and evap coil system, then what it is replacing will provide the house with more even heat at a lesser cost. The old AC was 2 ton, the replacement is about 2.5 ton. The 58STA they say is more efficient obviously then the 20 year old unit it is replacing which was a single stage Rudd Deluxe 80 Plus furnace.

Since I don't know just how many years experience these guys have, I really have no way of knowing whether they are talking from experience or through their hat! The only thing I know, is that my neighbor who 2 years ago or so replaced their aging furnace (same make and model as I had - with the Carrier), they have been very happy with the installation and performance. Their house is roughly the same size, but no new windows and the floor plan is different. They used the same HVAC company, but there has been some employee turn over and the guy who did the install no longer is there.

I'm really at a loss here, and I have to make a decision here very soon.

I know this is a bit long, and appreciate your bearing with me on this.

Please help an ol retired Puddle Pirate (Coast Guard) guy out with some advice.

Thanks

Chief

As said in your earlier thread, all you need for backup to the heat pump is the Infinity 80 Furnace as the HP will handle the major load for heating and you will smile at your savings. Insist upon the Infinity controller and you will have a great system.

IMO
    Good Luck!

What they have told you does have merit, with that said I personally would select the MVP it is more versatile in both heating and cooling You would have 2 stage heat same total btu input as the 58sta and you would have variable speed blower that will enhance both heating with a heat pump, cooling and filtration. You would also have sealed combustion which is a plus. It all comes down to comfort, and I personally think most people are more concerned with comfort.

Chief,

Not sure where you live but depending on the climate your backup/aux heat might run a lot.. But I would consider the Carrier UVB Infinity Furnace over the MVB if it is an upflow application-- 95% AFUE-- qualifys for FED tax credit.

With that said lets assume you are in an area where the backup/aux heat wont run a lot and your heat pump will do most of the work.

In that case I would say to take a hard look at the Carrier Infinity series 58CVA070-12-- with an infinity control. It is an 80% furnace but has a variable speed motor and you get all the comfort benefits.

Matter of fact If you combine a 58CVA070-12 an Infinity Control AND a Carrier 25HNA636 Infinity Heat pump-- it qualifies for an $1100 cash rebate from Carrier--thru Nov 15th.

Add in an Infinity Air Purifier get another 100 rebate.

for the Carrier experts to help advise Chief

I believe Chief lives in Oregon which has relatively mild winters and reasonable electric rates...

TD

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    Chief

As said in your earlier thread, all you need for backup to the heat pump is the Infinity 80 Furnace as the HP will handle the major load for heating and you will smile at your savings. Insist upon the Infinity controller and you will have a great system.

IMO
    Good Luck!
    Ditto!!

So far, I am leaning towards the 58CVA070-12-- with an infinity control based on all your recommendations.

What exactly is a "condensate furnace"? How is it different then the 58CVA or 58STA?

A condensing furnace is typically a furnace over 90% that vents with pvc plastic and drains water.

An 80% model would vent with a conventional chimney and not condense.

If you live in Oregon... mild winters.. and electricity is cheap-- the CVA070 would be a super choice.

But pay attention to what heat pump you are using-- I really think that you should strongly consider the Infinity series Heat pump--

again-- great Carrier rebate-- super efficiency-- two speed model etc..

best of luck

Decision is made and paperword done.

Going with the 25HNA9 heat pump and 58CVA070-12 furnace.

Gonna cost a bit more.

I appreciate the advise.

Install is on Monday.

Thanks everyone!

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Then post before and after pics!!
    Last edited by dash; 11-02-2007 at 10:22 AM.

Chief,

I think you made a wise choice and you should be very happy with that system!