Thread: Tappan?

Post Likes

Tappan?

I posted this in another thread and realized I should have started a new thread.

Anway, I have to replace an old heat pump. It was on life support and was pronounced dead on Monday!

My Rudd is 16 years old and is the one that needs replacing (3 ton unit). The contractor that I have a maintenance agreement with has suggested at 13 Seer Tappan (10 year warranty on compressor & coil). I can't seem to find much info about Tappan but think it might be part of Nordyne. I'm in Georgia and don't know if I should go with a higher SEER or possibly a dual-fuel unit. The contractor said the higher SEER unit will take 5 years or so to make it worth the extra $$$.

I sure could use some advice!

Post Likes
    I can see about 3 Tappan systems right outside my office window waiting to be installed

They are as good as anything else if sized & installed properly and have a killer warranty.

Dual fuel is a great bet in a mild climate, you'll hardly ever need the gas heat. The heat pump will heat cheaply most of the winter.

Higher SEER does have a payback but to get over 14 SEER you'll need a variable speed blower on your furnace. With Tappan using an existing furnace, you can get 14 SEER with the FT4BD series HP and CE series A coil. There are 3 of them in view, 2 going out with new gas furnaces, 1 going on an existing furnace.

Post Likes
    Thanks Baldloonie! After reading a bunch here, I've concluded that the unit is probably only as good as the installation and the warranty. The guy installing our unit is the one maintaining it so I don't think he will want extra headaches! Plus the 10 year warranty is great! My contractor called me back and said for $50 bucks more I could get the 14 Seer with the variable speed motor - which was a no brainer.

We were going to go with a dual fuel system, but since we already have gas logs with a thermostat (unvented), we felt like we'd use the logs as our "dual fuel" system. (Forgot to mention we only have propane as an option, no natural gas available.)

Thanks again!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I can see about 3 Tappan systems right outside my office window waiting to be installed

They are as good as anything else if sized & installed properly and have a killer warranty.

Dual fuel is a great bet in a mild climate, you'll hardly ever need the gas heat. The heat pump will heat cheaply most of the winter.

Higher SEER does have a payback but to get over 14 SEER you'll need a variable speed blower on your furnace. With Tappan using an existing furnace, you can get 14 SEER with the FT4BD series HP and CE series A coil. There are 3 of them in view, 2 going out with new gas furnaces, 1 going on an existing furnace.
    Does your company install American Standard systems often BaldLoonie?

Post Likes
    Depends upon the salesman. One likes Tappan for the value and ease of getting high SEER and the long warranties. The other one is more likely to sell low end A-S to capitalize on the name. A lot of our sales are dual fuel and I've convinced the boys the difference in output between Tappan HP and A-S with A coil. Usually about 1/2 ton more with a Tappan.

Post Likes
    cddgirl

First of all, based on your area/climate, I think dual fuel is overkill. You have relatively inexpensive electric rates which are very attractive for heat pump operation. The only exception is if you already have nat gas for other uses in your home-ie cooking and/or hot water, then you could consider an 80% AFUE gas furnace for backup heat to a heat pump. Definitely get an air handler or gas furnace with a var speed blower. I would want a heat pump with a minimum 15 SEER and 9 HSPF eff rating.

I don't know anything about Tappan but certainly defer to BaldLoonie's advice/suggestion. I also like Trane/AmStd's xl15i and Heritage 15 heat pumps although their output is light on heating. Consider a Honeywell VisionPro IAQ thermostat.

IMO
    Good Luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in