Worth it to upgrade to a Carrier 2 stage a/c unit?

I moved into a brand new home 6 months ago. It has the top of the line Infinity variable speed furnace, paired with a "Comfort Series" Carrier A/C unit (single stage compressor).

Now that the heat has been coming on, I'm noticing it is much quieter running than our a/c (I'm not talking about the unit itself -- but hearing the blower noise in the house via the return ducts or registers). I'm guessing heating is quieter due to the variable stage furnace. While the a/c is noisier since it probably has to run full blast more often (single stage).

In our family room, which sits directly above the furnace room in the basement, I have to increase the volume level on the TV when the A/C is running full blast.

So how much noise benefit (or other benefits) would I get in upgrading my outdoor a/c unit to the Infinity series two stage a/c unit?

Is it just a matter of taking out the Comfort Series a/c; and plugging in the new dual stage in the same connections (and then the tech using our Infinity T-Stat to set it up)? Or will this be tons of labor costs on top of the unit cost?

Or would this just be a waste of money?

Here is what I have for my system right now:

Furnace: 58MVB120-F

Zone Board 1:

SYSTXCC4ZC01

My outdoor unit is: The Carrier Comfort Series: 24ACA4

http://www.carrierresidential.com/carrier/acComfort.asp

Not sure where you live, but upgraiding the outdoor unit should have advantages over your single stage especially since you have zoning. It may be that your furnace has only run on first stage and not needed to go to high fire. Your cfm's for cooling are and can be set differently. Meet with your installing dealer and have him address the sound issue, there are things that can be done to make the system quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Not sure where you live, but upgraiding the outdoor unit should have advantages over your single stage especially since you have zoning. It may be that your furnace has only run on first stage and not needed to go to high fire. Your cfm's for cooling are and can be set differently. Meet with your installing dealer and have him address the sound issue, there are things that can be done to make the system quieter.
    I looked into the CFM settings on the Infinity T-stat (I looked at all the menus in the advanced and set up menus -- as well as the explanations in the manual). I'm not sure I would want to choose the options for less CFM -- which would effect overall comfort level as well. Its on the default setting right now. In fact, everything is on the default setting.

And the issue with noise is not a general house noise -- but ONLY in the family room. Which sits directly on top of the furnace itself. So all return/register duct noise would have to be louder there I assume. When I'm on my family room couch, that huge furnace is literally about 10 feet away (beneath me).

And yes, when the heat is on full blast, it gets loud in the family room too. It just seems that it doesn't need to do that as often -- as it does with A/C. (I'm basing that on last February/March as well).

By the way, I live in the Philadelphia area (hot humid summers).

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    To reduce noise at return grilles ,there should be two ninty degree elbows between the furnace and the return grille.If not there are sound absorbing turning vanes that can be installed.

Complete model numbers would help.

If you remove the return grille and the noise is reduced,the grille is likely too small,if not reduced,the duct is too small,or it's noise from the furnace and the vanes will help.

eap

If you have reasonable electric rates, you might consider a two stg heat pump and make your system dual fuel.

Just a thought.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by dash View Post
    To reduce noise at return grilles ,there should be two ninty degree elbows between the furnace and the return grille.If not there are sound absorbing turning vanes that can be installed.

Complete model numbers would help.

If you remove the return grille and the noise is reduced,the grille is likely too small,if not reduced,the duct is too small,or it's noise from the furnace and the vanes will help.
    I'm pretty sure its just noise from the furnace itself - -due to its proximity to the family room.

If so, would a 2 stage compressor be the best bet -- or "turning vanes"?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The two stage would only reduce the noise in low stage.

The "Fiberglass" vanes would help in high or low stage.

For your contractor the Quieturn Vanes are from www.durodyne.com
    lokk for the Glassline Catalog on that site.

Did you try this:

Again complete model numbers would help

If your in PECO country put in Heat pump like me, get the RH rate and the heat pump is great for the weather we are having now.And the payback on the unit will be fast because you go to 6 cents kw instead of 15cents kw (above 600kw)the new Infinity blows WARM AIR
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!