Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Do you Need a Combustion Analyzer???

Rather than answering which combustion analyzer should I buy or which is the best I want to start a thread to address the real question.

The answer is, "If you don't have one you shouldn't be in any house or building that has any fuel burning appliances"!!! We have all the tools and training for air conditioning and yet I rarely see where anyone was poisoned or killed by an air conditioning system. I cannot believe we jeopardized the safety of the public daily because we don't think we need an analyzer, we can't afford one and we certainly don't need to learn how to use it!!!

It is so much easier to say if we don't test then it is not our fault if someone is injured, but that is a crock!! If this was still the 19th century I would understand. We all can afford computors, cells phone, ipods, plasma TV's etc., but we can't afford the tools to do our jobs nor are we interested in attaining the skills to learn how to use them. It is not the analyzer that makes the difference, it is the person using it. If the equipment is failing odds are it is the user fault. I throw, bounce, kick, freeze, overheat just about every make analyzer on the market and they still work fine.(not that I recommend doing those things). It is my way of letting people which units hold up the best in the field. To date, Bacharach, Testo, TSI and even UEI have survived. On the other hand, moisture will kill all of them and if proper removal of water is not adhered to they all fail prematurely.

Water heaters and then unvented gas ovens lead the list of appliances that cause the most poisoning and deaths. So unless you are in a state that don't bathe or bake then maybe you don't need one..

Every fall the media advertises on make sure your furnace is safe for the winter and call a qualified contractor. Unfortunately less than 10% are qualified to do a thorough equipment safety check or whole house safety check.

We had a conference in a hotel in S.C. in February. The water heaters for the hotel were installed improperly, not venting properly and slowing poisoning guests in certain rooms. When I notified the hotel engineers he got mad at me and chewed me out. Guess I will wait for the lawsuit. Just checked a furnace that poisoned a lady in May and found it to be producing over 5110ppm of CO. Would have gone higher but didn't want to injure anyone. Because this was with a lawyer the amount of measureable CO was critical. This was in the furnace not the room. The room was monitored the whole time.

I really don't care what analyzer anyones buys, don't have a problem with who is making a deal, we all have our preferences, but please buy one NOW! and learn how to use it before more people die.
    captain CO

Twilli has one. Testo and likes it. Twilli could use some training. Twilli go this winter.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli has one. Testo and likes it. Twilli could use some training. Twilli go this winter.

Let me know when you sign up. I'll tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post

We had a conference in a hotel in S.C. in February. The water heaters for the hotel were installed improperly, not venting properly and slowing poisoning guests in certain rooms. When I notified the hotel engineers he got mad at me and chewed me out.

OK man, what's the rest of the story on that one.............also, was that you I saw sneaking around the hotel at night in St Louis with a CO detector coming out of the Mechanical Room?

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    OK man, what's the rest of the story on that one.............also, was that you I saw sneaking around the hotel at night in St Louis with a CO detector coming out of the Mechanical Room?
    That was my number 1 sidekick David helping me out!!!
    captain CO

Any word on when the class that was to be held from 10-30 through 11-1 in St louis will be rescheduled. I was really bumed it had to be cancelled. I was really looking forward to playing with my new toy er I mean tool.

Quote Originally Posted by coprtim View Post
    Any word on when the class that was to be held from 10-30 through 11-1 in St louis will be rescheduled. I was really bumed it had to be cancelled. I was really looking forward to playing with my new toy er I mean tool.
    Sorry, but had to cancel for health reasons. Re-scheduled for Dec 4,5 & 6, I believe.
    captain CO

We had a conference in a hotel in S.C. in February. The water heaters for the hotel were installed improperly, not venting properly and slowing poisoning guests in certain rooms. When I notified the hotel engineers he got mad at me and chewed me out. Guess I will wait for the lawsuit.

Made it real convenient we could see the vents from the balcony of my room.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Sorry, but had to cancel for health reasons. Re-scheduled for Dec 4,5 & 6, I believe.
    Speaking of that, get well soon and take it easy. Oh, and no more bacon cheese burgers. I am finally able to attend your class in Milwaukee this fall, and I can't wait. See you there.

That was my number 1 sidekick David helping me out!!!

Lol...I do the sabotaging of the equipment now so Jim won't get blamed anymore for messing the stuff up.

Sorry, but had to cancel for health reasons.
    Hope you get to feeling better captain.

training

Anyone know of training in Akron, Oh. area?

Jim, glad to here your feeling better. I'm very much looking forward to meeting you next Tuesday the 6th in Phoenix. I have wanted to take your class for a long time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast