Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

equipment install help

I have a carrier machine 300 ton 25,0000 lbs that is on a 3rd floor mech room. it has a 10'x10' door opening to the outside. The equipment sits on a 4" housekeeping pad. The help I need is on how do i get this up on some rollers to move it close to the door (2) Once on rollers how do we get it off the pad (3) and once at the door do we need 2 cranes or how can we rig it to use 1 crane?

You may need to hire an equipment moving Co. They have all the tools,hoisting and rigging equipment set up for this kind of work. You could also disassemble the chiller and bring it out in pieces.

That's pretty heavy so it's gonna be really tough.

Depending on how far the reach is....I think a D-Mag can pick it with a lot of counter weight. As far as slinging...that's gonna be purely up to the crane operator for that. They all have their own ways for something that heavy. He should have large steel slings to use though. Call whichever crane company you will use and ask them about the weight.

Tank rollers are about 4" high...so if you could figure out some way to slide it off of the pad onto the rollers that could work....but moving 25,000 is gonna be the hard part. You're probably gonna have to take it apart in pieces to make it lighter.....otherwise I don't think you're gonna get it off the pad. Once you get it lighter you can always use come-alongs and slide it off.

Can you get any pictures of it and the area you have to work with? It's kinda hard to see what you all got. Is there any larger overhead steel than you can use for chainfalls?

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

are you trying to reuse the chiller?

you can rent some house jacks from your local heavy machinery type rental place. a few of those strategically placed could lift it onto the roller jacks

a job I recently did involved moving heat exchangers that weighed 125,000 tons each. we used hydraulic jacks for those. you could probably rent those as well

Quote Originally Posted by jcarlding View Post
    are you trying to reuse the chiller?

you can rent some house jacks from your local heavy machinery type rental place. a few of those strategically placed could lift it onto the roller jacks
    Those could work too.

Chicago is an indian word for stinky!!!!!!
    -supertek65

I'd call a rigging company to do this job.Its pretty amazing what a good rigging crew can do with a minimal amount of equipment and men.You could spend a lot of time and money just trying to figure out how to move this let alone actually moving it.

Something that big will have to come out in pieces, rigging company or not.
    Call a crane company and have them come out to the job, they will be able to tell you what is required, and most crane co's have their own riggers or ones that they use on a regular basis.

We could hire a machinery mover but were are union and we try to keep all of that work in house......Thanks for the replies

Air bearings and a crane. I have put a CVHE 450 through a 53" window a 10 story building. Of course it was in pieces. House jacks will also work. You can buy them at McMaster-Carr. I have also rolled them on 1/2" black pipe. I would check the weight you discribed. 300 ton chiller should not weigh 25,000 lbs. I bet closer to 18,000 max if it a high pressure machine.
    "I'm from Texas, what country are you from?"

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye Fitter View Post
    We could hire a machinery mover but were are union and we try to keep all of that work in house......Thanks for the replies
    We are union too but when needed call in the cavalry, use union millwrights. If you are not familiar with rigging this type of equipment under these conditions, I guarantee every penny you spend on a millwright for this project will be well worth it.

What plick27 said ....there are many ways to skin that cat. I have been known to weld beams down each side to make them more of a skid than just having feet (end plates) jack it up with railroad jacks (toe jack) and then rolling them off the pad with 1/2" round bar onto skates , also have slid wide 1/4 " flat bar under the feet (far less friction) and drug them off the pad onto skates and about any othe rmeans anyone could come up with. It can be tricky and jacks and all the related equip needed is pretty costly. as far as the crane it shouldn't take 2 cranes provided your crane company selects the right one. Old sidewinders are the toughest. I have always told my customers I was gonna use 100,000 1/4 ball bearings and golf shoes.....roll it right out.

It might be a moot point, and you may have already done this, but I think recovering the charge before trying to move it would certainly lighten it up some.

can the " outside" of the mechanical room structurally support the weight of this?
    If you are in the penthouse, try to picture how they got this in there at original install.
    pull the roof off, lift it out and set the new one in, I know i made it sound easy, but realistically, have you explored that option?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast