Thread: Chillin

Exclamation Chillin

Curious if there is any suggestions on alternatives to cooling besides traditional central air, window rattlers, or fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Dayna View Post
    Curious if there is any suggestions on alternatives to cooling besides traditional central air, window rattlers, or fans?
    Interesting...maybe one day mankind can find some funky rock from some one off planet that is so cold it just absorbs heat and not get hot. I've always liked the idea of a refrigerated water bed..imagine coming out of the shower, clean sheets and the bed is constantly at 70?=) I'm open to suggestions...

I think in the old days they used blocks of ice and fans for cooling. Let us know how it works and post some pics.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.

The HVAC-Talk Educational Forums is the best place on the net for your HVAC/R info!!!

VETO PRO PAC - The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

Get butt naked and swing on a rope swing.
    Luke 6:31

Move to Antarctica !

Actually there are a few buildings that use natural airflow for cooling and heat by the operation of strategically placed dampers ( Green buildings) but to my knowledge there is nothing for residential.

There are houses and hotels built over caves and spring houses worked well for keeping milk cool years ago. What are you looking for or trying to avoid?
    The design of the structure can be the most important feature.

Overhangs and a large thermal mass. If you live in a very warm climate or have an existing house forget it.

Evaporative coolers are good in dry climates, as is ventilation at night.

With the typical poorly designed structure, mechanical cooling will always be necessary to maintain a comfortable temperature.